Photo

Radio Free Cybertron back on air

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robo_rob

robo_rob

Pepsi will bring your ancestors back from the dead.

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hey everybody, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure exactly where to put this.. but anyway *ahem*

Radio Free Cybertron is The Transformers Internet Radio Show (a podcast) which first hit the internet in 1999. It ran from 1999 - 2004 and has just resumed after a five year absence. Brian is the founder and primary host.

You can listen to us at TF Radio.

We are also on Facebook and on Twitter.

Thanks and hope everybody comes to check us out again :)

#2 ironhide1975

ironhide1975

Forum Member

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

Hey everybody, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure exactly where to put this.. but anyway *ahem*

Radio Free Cybertron is The Transformers Internet Radio Show (a podcast) which first hit the internet in 1999. It ran from 1999 - 2004 and has just resumed after a five year absence. Brian is the founder and primary host.

You can listen to us at TF Radio.

We are also on Facebook and on Twitter.

Thanks and hope everybody comes to check us out again :)

Would just like to say that technically you guys were the 'FIRST' Transformers podcast as compared to some other smaller podcast who's name will remain unmentioned. ;) Welcome back.

#3 robo_rob

robo_rob

Pepsi will bring your ancestors back from the dead.

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, it's kinda odd to think that internet radio would be so mainstream now as compared to our original run.

#4 Scaleface

Scaleface

Forum Member

• Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

They were the first internet "radio show", but I think TFWire was the first to distribute it in an RSS feed, thus the first "Podcast." Correct me if I'm wrong. Still, the more shows to listen to the better.

#5 ironhide1975

ironhide1975

Forum Member

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

They were the first internet "radio show", but I think TFWire was the first to distribute it in an RSS feed, thus the first "Podcast." Correct me if I'm wrong. Still, the more shows to listen to the better.

I know podcasts are RSS feeds, but I would argue podcasts are 'Netcasts' and as such if we want to go by who truly started the Transformer Internet Radio show I would give it to Radio Free Cybertron ;)

#6 Scaleface

Scaleface

Forum Member

• Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

I definitely understand what you are saying. Just pointing out the technicalities, as another podcast claims to be the first, and technically they are right. When Radio Free Cybertron went online, and later went off line, the word "podcast" hadn't been coined yet. IN fact I think it original was on audio cassette, not online, wasn't it? The first time they "podcast" an episode other TF podcasts had already existed.

Edited by Scaleface, 10 August 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#7 Kilby

Kilby

Forum Member

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

I definitely understand what you are saying. Just pointing out the technicalities, as another podcast claims to be the first, and technically they are right. When Radio Free Cybertron went online, and later went off line, the word "podcast" hadn't been coined yet. IN fact I think it original was on audio cassette, not online, wasn't it? The first time they "podcast" an episode other TF podcasts had already existed.

HEH. The audio cassette episode was a joke. I recorded it in 2002 upon a suggestion from Exvee. It was an attempt to show that there wasn't much to talk about Transformers-wise ten years prior to that episode. And, also, it was an excuse to use Baby Got Back.

But, yeah, that's basically it. The way we word it on the site is true and I think it keeps any feathers from getting ruffled. We were never really internet radio (we didn't stream live, or use the protocols) and since the word podcast didn't exist, we had to call ourselves something. The word podcast is nebulous, anyway. If a podcast requires an RSS enclosure, then no we weren't a podcast (I don't think, anyway. I played around with RSS in 2004 or 2005 but I don't remember if it was before or after TFWire.) There's no real consensus on what a podcast is, not even amongst podcasters and editors on wikipedia. We did have internet syndication in a rudimentary fashion ("RFC on your site") and some definitions of "podcast" only require syndication. Either way, we were several years ahead of the curve, which basically everyone recognizes. If the technology existed when we started, we would've been a podcast. We still call ourselves "The Transformers Internet Radio Show" as that's the way we've branded ourselves and we don't go around calling ourselves the "World's First Transformers Podcast" as that's what MP and TFWire brand themselves as. Which is all good and all true.

Edited by Kilby, 11 August 2009 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us