Sawp Meet #2 - Should We Do it Again?

BaCon

The guys at Super7 had a good time and said we could do it again. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the event and if makes sense to do it again.

Would more notice and doing it on Sunday help those of you who could not make it this time?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am all for it and speaking for myself, yes, having it on Sunday would be awesome. However, I still think regarding increasing the attendance aspect it will take time. More advertising will help, absolutely and I think maybe flyers posted and left in strategic stores in Jtown would be prudent. Ie. Mikado, JVideo, Kinokunika, People Video (if it's still there etc).

IMO we should also try to eventually have one of our Swaps during the same time as the next Third Annual JapanTown Anime Faire, coming up in 2005. According to their site it will be on September 3-5, 2005 (Labor Day Weekend). Here is the site: http://www.jtaf.com/index2.html

Just my two cents. :thumb Just keep us posted.

IMO we should also try to eventually have one of our Swaps during the same time as the next Third Annual JapanTown Anime Faire, coming up in 2005. According to their site it will be on September 3-5, 2005 (Labor Day Weekend). Here is the site: http://www.jtaf.com/index2.html

Why would you want to compete with the anime fair?

To answer your question Wheel-Jack, I really think that we should do it again.

Saturday or Sunday both work. But there's no way to please everybody.

Actually, we would not be competing with the anime fair. We would be DIRECTLY benefiting from the increase amount of people who are specifically visiting Jtown, b/c they are attending the con. We would also benefit from the regular and relatively small amount of people from TFans and other boards, who would already be coming. But as I mentioned in another thread it will take time to promote and reach out to TFans; not every TFan is even aware of the TFan board existence, let alone Super7 and even few are aware of our swap meets.

However, if we can continue to promote our event, the swap meet by leaving flyers at Kinoyunika, Mikado, and most importantly JVideo, we will slowly by surely increase public awareness of our event. Also, if you are familiar with Jtown in San Francisco, typically whenever there is a major festival and/or community event, the Jtown merchants as a whole, benefit from the increase in tourism and patrons.

We can use the anime festival and make it work for us for a future swap meet, if we held it during that weekend. IMO we should have it coincide with theirs b/c many anime fans are also mecha fans (i.e. Gundam) and are specifically returning TFans! We can also view this as an opportunity to promote and reach out to new and younger TFans too. :thumb Also bear in mind there are no anime cons or festivals in San Francisco, the nearest one held annually is Fanime, which is not even held in San Francisco. As such, for anime fans new and old, this event in San Francisco’s Jtown, holds many opportunities and will undoubtedly draw a HUGE crowd. The last time this event occurred there were a few thousand, estimate around two thousand people attended. Even if we do not hold the Swap for all three days (which is the typical amount of days for anime cons), we will still benefit and I for one will not be surprised if the Super7 will be involved and preparing the con. It would be prudent for us to plan in advance to participate and advertise online and via word of mouth about the swap meet.

Lastly, I think we should have at least one more before the anime con in September 2005, perhaps in January or February? I don’t think we should have one in December b/c of Christmas and how people are traveling and the same applies to Thanksgiving. Thoughts?

I think during Anime Con is a great idea for all the points you make FM. It might be harder to do and I cant assure you we can use the store that day. They will probably be swamped with shoppers and not as keen on the idea. I'll bring it with them up for sure tho.

The store is game for us whenever we want to do it again providing they dont have another event going on already on that date. Even if it was a bi-monthly thing, I think. That's probably more than I am into doing tho.

So what are we talking about for the next one? What about Halloween? December is not a horrible time. People are home and out of school. January is fine too. The sooner we choose a date the sooner we can get the word out. If we do this, would some people be into helping distribute fliers around their area?

WJ

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not, but people keep asking the Super7 store when there is going to be another TF Swap Meet. I want to set a date for before the end of this year. What date works best for everyone? How does Sunday December 5th or 12th look for all of you?

Let's nail down a date and start the promo to make this one bigger and better.

WJack

Archived