Is Galvatron really Megatron?

dura_grip

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unicron wouldn't reformat Galvatron back into Megatron anyway. There would be no purpose in it for Uni. I think there wasn't nearly as much outcry over Megatron being reformatted because he didn't actually "die", he was just "changed." On screen, seeing Optimus actually die was much more powerful.

Seeing smoke pour from Prowl's mouth as he died painfully actually stuck with me more. That was pretty brutal.

It wasn't explained why the Decepticons treated Galvatron as a different person. It was only in the one episode where the "he's the same guy" line is and no one objected to it. They also never talked about Cyclonus, Scourge or the clones and who they used to be. Its actually interesting that Cyclonus suddenly became the 2nd in command and Scourge was kinda like 3rd. Prior to the movie, Megatron was the leader and there was no real command structure beneath him.

• 3 weeks later...

Unicron wouldn't reformat Galvatron back into Megatron anyway. There would be no purpose in it for Uni. I think there wasn't nearly as much outcry over Megatron being reformatted because he didn't actually "die", he was just "changed." On screen, seeing Optimus actually die was much more powerful.

Seeing smoke pour from Prowl's mouth as he died painfully actually stuck with me more. That was pretty brutal.

That scene gives me nightmares til this day. As Prowl being one of my favorites, watching so much scene time dedicated to him left me wondering what was I gonna do with a bunch of dead Autobots when I got home.

To answer dura-grip's answer, you can take it by the cartoon or comic book. But since you're talking cartoon, Galvatron was a lunatic. In the movie, when Galvatron says he would crush Ultra Magnus like Megatron crushed Prime, Ultra Magnus replied back indicating that they were two different Decepticons.

On the other hand, when Galvatron is about to blast Starscream, SS asks if he's Megatron and the reply is "here's a hint."

It's a toss up.

I also like Rodimus as a leader. He wasn't going to get it right off the bat he was more realistic when it came to being a new leader. Sure, people hated him and wanted Prime back, but Prime's been leader for +4 million years. Rodimus got 2 years max? It was a fresh take that didn't get off the ground because of nostalgic fans hating change.

The only reason why Astrotrain said "they were the same guy" was because Hasbro was back-pedalling from the backlash over Optimus' death. They figured that maybe alot of people did not like the change from Megatron to Galvatron as well. You can't have Optimus back without Megatron because Megatron was a part of Optimus, they were joined at the hip. They defined each other. The interaction between Galvatron and Optimus in Rebirth and "The Return of Optimus Prime" just did not work; there was no chemistry like there was between Megatron and Optimus Prime.

Galvatron was a different entity than Megatron. Megatron died in the reformat. Hasbro was trying to fool kids into thinking they were the "same guy" because they did not want to lose the Megatron audience, as they lost the Optimus Prime fans. They were trying to appease the ones coming at them with torches and pitchforks.