What? IDW Just ruined the TF comics even further....

Shadowpanther

for the record...Dreamwave sucked...Pat Lee's art is terrible....puffy robots?...for real?...nah...i'll take IDW any day....granted ive just started reading the IDW series from the beginning..im about to start AHM...thats as far in as i am...but the art and stories are much better than DW....i can draw robots better than pat lee..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for the record...Dreamwave sucked...Pat Lee's art is terrible....puffy robots?...for real?...nah...i'll take IDW any day....granted ive just started reading the IDW series from the beginning..im about to start AHM...thats as far in as i am...but the art and stories are much better than DW....i can draw robots better than pat lee..

still better then IDW

This crap is so unneeded and turned me away from IDW permanently

still better then IDW

I agree....

Personally IDW'S TF art,stories & character persona's are inferior to Dreamwave's.

Dreamwave would have never made Bumblebee the leader of the autobots.

If Pat Lee would have been better at finances or hired a freakin accountant to take care of all the money. I could still be enjoying DW Transformers

If Pat Lee would have been better at finances or hired a freakin accountant to take care of all the money. I could still be enjoying DW Transformers

What he said. From an artistic standpoint, Pat ain't the world's greatest artist by any stretch of the imagination...but he's no Rob Liefeld, either. He's serviceable. And he's much better at pencilling robots than he is at trying to draw anatomically correct humans with a range of facial expressions.

still better then IDW

Is that from Infestation? I don't remember that.

I enjoy IDW TF comics, but never really understood them inventing a zombie virus that had the ability to infect robots.

still better then IDW

Is that from Infestation? I don't remember that.

I enjoy IDW TF comics, but never really understood them inventing a zombie virus that had the ability to infect robots.

It is from the on going book just like this crap is unneeded. Does not even look like Hot Rod

still better then IDW

And they're both vastly inferior to Marvel, especially Marvel UK.

What he said. From an artistic standpoint, Pat ain't the world's greatest artist by any stretch of the imagination...but he's no Rob Liefeld, either. He's serviceable. And he's much better at pencilling robots than he is at trying to draw anatomically correct humans with a range of facial expressions.

He is not "serviceable". He's incapable of following a character design, or even maintaining a consistent look for a character between adjacent panels. Seriously, how frickin' hard is it to look at how you drew Optimus Prime in the panel directly to the left? He also has no concept of how to tell a story with his art. The infamous "Devastator triumphant" sequence in the original DW miniseries is a great example of this. Nobody at the time knew what was supposed to be happening, who everyone (including Dev!) was looking slack-jawed up in the air at, or even (until we saw there were nothing but ads left after that page) that this was the conclusion of the issue.

I consider the words "Pat Lee" on a comic cover the equivalent of a Surgeon General's warning on a pack of cigarettes - contents are hazardous to your health!

He is not "serviceable". He's incapable of following a character design, or even maintaining a consistent look for a character between adjacent panels. Seriously, how frickin' hard is it to look at how you drew Optimus Prime in the panel directly to the left? He also has no concept of how to tell a story with his art. The infamous "Devastator triumphant" sequence in the original DW miniseries is a great example of this. Nobody at the time knew what was supposed to be happening, who everyone (including Dev!) was looking slack-jawed up in the air at, or even (until we saw there were nothing but ads left after that page) that this was the conclusion of the issue.

I consider the words "Pat Lee" on a comic cover the equivalent of a Surgeon General's warning on a pack of cigarettes - contents are hazardous to your health!

What you just described holds true for most comic book pencillers in this day and age. More than a few of them have no concept of proportions/anatomy, perspective or very much of anything. The concept of telling a story with your art alone via well-rendered sequential images has been dying a hard and miserable death for years. IMO, Pat Lee falls into this category quite solidly and is really no better or worse than at least half of that crowd. That, IMO, makes him serviceable. In a pinch, he can pencil your comic book project. There's a small handful of people who I would never allow to work on a comic of mine, and Pat Lee isn't one of those people. He would not be my first or even 50th choice, but he's far from being the worst penciller out there. I've seen those. I've worked with a couple. Hell, his name alone would probably take care of the printing costs for you, and I'm not even a fan of his work. But then again, not every penciller churning out pages for comics about TFs can be named William Johnson.

Pat Lee is an otherwise average artist with a below average concept of anatomy and perspective, just like most everyone pencilling a comic today. He's not so horribly deficient in any single area, however, that I feel the need to analyze his work any deeper. Pat was actually no better or worse than someone like Joe Madureira or J.Scott Campbell, for instance, looking at all 3 of these guys earliest work and looking at them from that same standpoint. They simply improved, where Pat just stayed stuck in neutral. Comic book pages are littered with scores of pencillers who fit that description.

Archived