What is YOUR Collection Worth (To You)?

Sami

We talked about it in the shout box a bit, and I wanted to see if we can make this happen..

Now, this is totally a discussion piece, it doesn't require people to chime in to think they're being funny by placing some unrealistic pricing, or that you would never sell yours etc..In this thread, you are. You need a new car, pay off college, quick cash and lots of it, having a child, married and need to make room etc..You are looking to sell your collection..You NEED to make money, and you have to bite said bullet and sell it all, BUT, you're not exactly sure how much you should ask for it. You don't want to give it all away, or sell your stuff cheap..You know what you paid for it, but not exactly sure what it's worth--But it definitely needs to go.

So, I'd like to see what you think your collection is worth, and then let others on here add their two cents in on it, as to what they think it's worth, if you're amount is to high or to low. You can add pics of your collection, or links to where ever it is displayed.

You get to create the collection..If you're only selling a part of it, or the entire thing. Post what you'd be getting rid of, and how much you'd ask for it all. And then lets see if people agree with that amount.

Here is mine.

Now, I'd be selling EVERYTHING..Except my Primes. Including the glass Curio cases they're currently displayed in.

PRICE: I'd hope mine was worth 10,000$ but I know it isn't. Or maybe it is. So, my gen-1 transformers all complete and in great condition, all my Alts--2 of each including exclusives, 2 of each classics including botcons, and movie figures, 2 of each on every version, complete collections of the Palisades, Hard Hero and Diamond select statues and busts, and various other figures, as well as the 7 curio cabinets they come in. I'd hope to get between 5000-7500$ for it.

$16,723 as of last night when I added Nightwatch Prime to my collection. That is the price that I paid of everything from the display cases all the way down to the reprostickers I have on Leader Prime.

I honestly think that if I broke it all up and did it the right way, I could get even more than that. This is the collector in my speaking and not some naive kid. I know that some of my figures I got a great deal on and are worth more than I paid, and others have of course depreciated, but I think that overall, I could get at least $12K for the whole thing if I did it right.

I have a lot of stuff that is in fantastic shape and I have a whole lot of stuff that could easily go for over $100+ by themselves. Even my BTs and Alts could be sold for a good price as I recently bought a "lot" of them on ebay and had to sell some duplicates and ended up making $500 on the deal.

If I sold anything, I would probably sell them all w/ a few minor exceptions. I would not sell MP Prime, MP Megs, MP SS (Hasbro version, I would definitely sell the Takara version). I would sell my BT-17 Black Convoy and make some real money on that, same w/ BT-18 Clear Mirage/Rijie. I would even sell my Fort Max and have quite a profit (best deal I ever made). Basically, I am really attached to the MP line, but everything else can probably go. I might keep the original BW Optimus Primal and Megatron, but maybe not.

Overall, taking into consideration those 3 I would keep. I still think it is worth $12K-$13K total if I sold it all. I have some great pieces in fantastic condition as well as some hard to find stuff so I could get a good amount for the whole thing.

How did you go about keeping a total on what you've spent? I know your collection has quite a bit to it..? Just collecting receipts?

You should appreciate this, being at least semi-OCD as I am.

Part of the fun for me is the pure collecting aspect of it. I love making lists and keeping track of things, simply being organized. So, a few years ago I started to type out all the figures that I had in my collection according to line (around 200 at the time, so it wasn't too hard), then I added in what I paid for them (yes, I was able to remember what I paid for most since I hadn't gotten into ebay yet and most were coming from brick and mortar stores, ie Beast Wars basic figure = $6, deluxe = $10, mega = $15, ultra = $20). Then, I put in whether or not they had instructions, tech specs etc. I also included whether or not they were gifts or I bought them. Like I said, as I did this I grouped them by line, ie Beast Wars, Armada, Binaltech/Alt/MP and each line has a total cost associated w/ it. For instance, the total for BT/Alt/MP is $2302. The total for Beast Wars is $1186. I did this all in Word so it was just a monstrous list (23 pages). This is my "Transformers Collection" list.

Finally I wanted to be able to look up how many Primes , Megs, Starscreams, etc, I had in my collection so I made a table, my "Transformers Figure List" which has the name, price, line and comments (ie, eHobby exclusive, Takara verison, Target exclusive, missing one missile, complete, MIB etc). Ever since I started doing this, I just update them both every time I get a new figure (or 10 :tfgrin ). It really isn't hard to keep track.

Also, the Transformers Collection includes everything from figures, to DVDs, to comics, to games, even how much I spent on the display cases and lights. The TFs Figure List only has the figures obviously. My total for the entire TFs collection is $16K, the total for just figures is about $13K.

So Sami, am I slightly more OCD than you? :tflaugh

No idea,

I know for fact I've spent well over several thousand dollars in the past seven years and that's basically everything from A/E/C some reissues, BWs/BM/RID/Univer/movie figs and most of the Alts. I have no idea how much I could net but probably a fair bit since the Alts, and A/E Unicron figs alone are getting more and more difficult to find.

Mine would probably only be worth a few hundred dollars, maybe close to $1,000. For me, it's all sentimental value, since my collection is mainly focused on Prime and the toys I think are cool. Plus my paintbrush has touched just about everything in various degrees. In any case, I'd have to be in some pretty dire straits to even consider selling any of it.

Archived