classics jetfire leg extension (1 cm taller)

ZedzDead

i found this on TFW2005 recently and i really wanted to share this w/ everyone b/c it is SO simple to do. first i wanna credit the guy who made that thread (SMOG). from such a small mod comes a great outcome. please tell me what you guys think, and if this is old news then at least a few other ppl can be informed of this. i do plan to piant this one up more like old school ala JIN's fine example, but differently. i'll shut up now, Zedz

before

DSC03465.jpg

after (plus pics of thruster mod)

DSC03466.jpg

DSC03461.jpg

DSC03464.jpg

DSC03460.jpg

DSC03463.jpg

DSC03462.jpg

it sure would have been nice to get an interior shot to see what was shaved :roll

Note: my rollyeyes was for SMOG that posted like a dozen picks of lame poses with no proper instructions

Yes, instruction shots and or directions PLZ!!

it sure would have been nice to get an interior shot to see what was shaved :roll

Note: my rollyeyes was for SMOG that posted like a dozen picks of lame poses with no proper instructions

tonight when i return from work, i will break open one of the legs and show exactly what i did. the mod is pretty straightforward esspecially once you see inside the leg. you are just basically moving the notches further up inside the leg to get that extra height. you will actually have 2 locked positions after the mod (regular height and the one you dremel out. the small areas i cut away above the knee are pretty self explanitory. you are basically cutting away at the area that stops the movement forward. you wanna just cut it to allow only 1 more click to hyper-extend his knee to give him some much needed support for those thrusters and also to acheive an anime posture. its quite effective in its simplicity. i was going to post a TUT walkthru anyway. check back late tonight. zedz

tonight when i return from work, i will break open one of the legs and show exactly what i did. the mod is pretty straightforward esspecially once you see inside the leg. you are just basically moving the notches further up inside the leg to get that extra height. you will actually have 2 locked positions after the mod (regular height and the one you dremel out. the small areas i cut away above the knee are pretty self explanitory. you are basically cutting away at the area that stops the movement forward. you wanna just cut it to allow only 1 more click to hyper-extend his knee to give him some much needed support for those thrusters and also to acheive an anime posture. its quite effective in its simplicity. i was going to post a TUT walkthru anyway. check back late tonight. zedz

Zedz thank you I look forward to your tutorial, I want to perform this mod on my Skyfire as well. A pic is worth 1000 words.

here's the TUT i promised.

STEP 1 - first thing i did was take each leg off and separated the halves. you will notice on the knee joint that slides up and down into the leg has two raised guides and two spring loaded catchers on either side of the block. what you want to do is pretty much cut the raised guide on both sides to match where the catchers are on the block. i used a pen to mark where i wanted to cut first. you can eyeball it or use an exact measurement. i eyeballed it. i just used a dremel and cut, then polished the plastic after cutting.

DSC03479.jpg

here is the normal position for the block and notice where i cut the new notches for the spring loaded tabs.

DSC03476.jpg

here is a pic of the block w/ the cut raised guides and the new notches i cut for the spring loaded catchers.

DSC03477.jpg

STEP 2 - we are half way done at this point. the new notches you want to dremel are right below the final wall of plastic at the top of the leg (boot). just make the cuts as close to the wall as possible and be sure to use the same width and length somewhat of the original factory notches. NOTE: this needs to be done on BOTH halves of the leg. if you cut only what you need and not in access, you will not harm the integrity of the mold's construction and get just as tight a fit as the factory position. so now you should end up w/ two solid positions you may utilize on each leg for even more leg positions as well, and you may actually strike more poses.

DSC03475.jpg

ok, w/ that minor surgery done, we can go the extra distance to acheive some anime leg postures by allowing the knee to hyper extend only one click forward. this is very easy to do, and it will also allow jetfire to balance his upper weight ALOT better as well as strike even more poses. so you are basically getting 2 useful options from this simple cut.

STEP 3 - all you have to do is cut the upper leg pieces (on both sides) like the provided pic. just dremel the plastic to look like the example and polish the plastic after the cuts.

DSC03474.jpg

STEP 4 - cut the knee stopper on the knee joint on the block to allow the hyper extension exactly as the pic shows to allow only one click from the ratchet knee joint.

DSC03481.jpg

STEP 5 - reassemble the leg (keep in mind to keep the silver pins showing on the inside of the leg), and test out your new mod. if everything went according to plan, you should have a wobble free new leg extension.

STEP 6 - give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy your new, much needed added height and stability to jetfire. almost 1 full cm taller. it doesnt sound like much, but you WILL notice a huge difference i promise. and you didnt even compromise anything in the process. congradulations!!

STEP 7 - (OPTIONAL) if you want to mod the thrusters just take out the springs from the flip out guns and wrap a small piece of black electric tape around the post to give the joint some friction so it doesnt flop around. reassemble that portion of the gun back. now you may position those thrusters and guns in any position you desire. i like options, but this is not neccessary.

DSC03472.jpg

STEP 8 - (OPTIONAL) i like my thrusters streamlined and decided to dremel off those protrusions on the sliding portions of the thrusters down to a flat surface. again, try to polish the surface as flat as possible. since the protrusions house a screw connection, all i did was simply super glue the edges together. this makes the thrusters more appealing and streamlined IMO.

DSC03464.jpg

thats it. i hope many will find this little guide to be very useful. thanx for looking, ZedzDead

Archived