Replacements for Shia (Some movie spoilers)

Hanzkaz

Is there any reason why the likes of Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson couldn't take over the main (human) protagonist's role for TF4, now that Shia apparently expresses reluctance to return to the franchise. They both play military (or ex-military) characters and there are rumours of intentions to head the TF movie storyline in a 'darker' direction (After what happened to Ironhide, Lennox probably still holds a personal grudge against the 'Cons and their allies). They also wouldn't need to waste time introducing them (meaning more robot screen time), though it might be interesting to learn a bit more about their backgrounds (Duhamel's character is a family man now, but we don't see much of that in the second and third movies).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could replace Shia with a howler monkey on crack who had been poked with a cattle prod just before the director yells "acton". The results would be similar... or better yet, they could abandon the Bayverse and pretend it never happened. I like that idea. Just a suggestion of course. Did I mention I never really liked those films?

They've invested too much money into the movies to scrap the current version of the movie franchise just yet. We just have to hope that the the people working on Transformers 4 make it better than the previous installments.

My thoughts from elsewhere:

Time for an all-new Decepticon leader?

I was thinking that for Transformers 4, we need an all new and completely original leader for the 'Cons.

Megatron is out of the game, as are Shockwave, Soundwave, Starscream and Scorponok, who in other incarnations lead the Decepticons (Scorpy got a serious demotion). The last thing we need is another resurrection.

What we need is a Decepticon Leader character that hasn't been used before, someone with the potential to surpass Movie Megs. (Face it, who expected the 'mighty' Megatron ending up as an apparently willing minion for the Fallen and Sentinel Prime.) Let's have a 'Con leader who bows to no one.

It would be interesting to see the rise of a new Decepticon leader, as he gathers the remnants of Megatron's followers. Perhaps he'll seem fairly weak and appear relatively harmless to his enemies and rivals until it suits him. Maybe he's the kind of individual who likes to keep a few nasty tricks up his sleeve. Maybe he's a car-bot.

(TF4 Idea. There is a power struggle amongst the Decepticons. One candidate for leadership decides to prove his worthiness by striking at the Autobots, who take him down, unwittingly clearing the way for a true threat)

I personally think that the best direction for the movie franchise would be for them to introduce entirely new Autobots and Decepticons (with never before used names) and take the story in a new direction.

A) We won't get a situation where people argue that a particular Movie character's personality or appearance doesn't resemble his cartoon or comic namesake (the Twins, Jetfire, Arcee, etc).

B) The film-makers won't feel they have to force some G1-ism into the Movie storyline just to keep us 'old-school' fans happy (which, admittedly, a lot of us aren't). The G1 homages are nice (mostly) but most TF fans will accept by now the Movie-verse is not G1 or any other TF-Verse, and the film-makers aren't really under any obligation to repeat a new version of previous TF stories. (Of course, I'd like to see the Dinobots, Ultra Magnus and so on, but they'd probably turn out to be Predacon double agents or something)

C) The end of Transformers 3 offers a chance to start something new, a clean slate of sorts. The old Decepticon guard are gone but there a still a lot of bad guys left. We don't really have to start heading into the Unicron/Galvatron/Rodimus storyline any time soon (or ever). That way lies Unicron II.

Don't get me wrong, I have lot of issues with the movies (the 'fast-forward' button on my remote gets a lot of use), but I think the franchise still has potential.

Yeah, Shia was idiotic. Screaming like a little beotch. At least Sparkplug, Spike and Daniel had some balls. It would be cool if they would go back to Cybertron (as long as it wasn't destroyed) and find more bots. Sam's son or an older Sam would be cool. NOT a screaming freakish little beotch like Shia LaBarf.

They've invested too much money into the movies to scrap the current version of the movie franchise just yet. We just have to hope that the the people working on Transformers 4 make it better than the previous installments.

My thoughts from elsewhere:

Time for an all-new Decepticon leader?

I was thinking that for Transformers 4, we need an all new and completely original leader for the 'Cons.

Megatron is out of the game, as are Shockwave, Soundwave, Starscream and Scorponok, who in other incarnations lead the Decepticons (Scorpy got a serious demotion). The last thing we need is another resurrection.

What we need is a Decepticon Leader character that hasn't been used before, someone with the potentional to surpass Movie Megs. (Face it, who expected the 'mighty' Megatron ending up as an apparently willing minion for the Fallen and Sentinel Prime.) Let's have a 'Con leader who bows to no one.

It would be interesting to see the rise of a new Decepticon leader, as he gathers the remnants of Megatron's followers. Perhaps he'll seem fairly weak and appear relatively harmless to his enemies and rivals until it suits him. Maybe he's the kind of individual who likes to keep a few nasty tricks up his sleeve. Maybe he's a car-bot.

(TF4 Idea. There is a power struggle amongst the Decepticons. One candidate for leadership decides to prove his worthiness by striking at the Autobots, who take him down, unwittingly clearing the way for a true threat)

I personally think that the best direction for the movie franchise would be for them to introduce entirely new Autobots and Decepticons (with never before used names) and take the story in a new direction.

A) We won't get a situation where people argue that a particular Movie character's personality or appearance doesn't resemble his cartoon or comic namesake (the Twins, Jetfire, Arcee, etc).

B) The film-makers won't feel they have to force some G1-ism into the Movie storyline just to keep us 'old-school' fans happy (which, admittedly, a lot of us aren't). The G1 homages are nice (mostly) but most TF fans will accept by now the Movie-verse is not G1 or any other TF-Verse, and the film-makers aren't really under any obligation to repeat a new version of previous TF stories. (Of course, I'd like to see the Dinobots, Ultra Magnus and so on, but they'd probably turn out to be Predacon double agents or something)

C) The end of Transformers 3 offers a chance to start something new, a clean slate of sorts. The old Decepticon guard are gone but there a still a lot of bad guys left. We don't really have to start heading into the Unicron/Galvatron/Rodimus storyline any time soon (or ever). That way lies Unicron II.

Don't get me wrong, I have lot of issues with the movies (the 'fast-forward' button on my remote gets a lot of use), but I think the franchise still has potential.

Totally agree with a new villain. How about Galvatron NOT linked to Megatron in origin at all. Or Jihaxus, or Sixshot, or ..... Yeah, there are plenty of other villains.

I did have a idea of Straxus (among others) being freed from his imprisonment on Cybertron after the disaster with the space-bridge, years after being defeated by Optimus and Megatron (when they were both good guys). There would be a ready-made army of Decepticon minions just waiting for a strong leader.

He'd still have a grudge against Optimus, and would at first be more motivated by revenge than conquest. Of course he'll probably discover that Optimus has learned not to take prisoners since his younger days.

Yeah, Shia was idiotic. Screaming like a little beotch. At least Sparkplug, Spike and Daniel had some balls. It would be

The TF Fandom has officially been turned upside down. Bear witness to this turning point in our history, when Sam Witwicky has overtaken the "Most annoying human character" level that had previously been held by Daniel Witwicky.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I would do moving forward.

Sam and Carly married with son Daniel years after the events of DOTM. Replacements for Shia should be someone who can fit the characters established looks but a bit older and more mature. I would say, take all the needed time to come up with someone who can act and fit the physical characteristics that doesn't have a big name.

I would cast the next movies with actors who, if successful, would be willing to ride the Transformers express for as long as the train will stay on the tracks. When the limelight from Transformers dies out for Shia, who knows where his career will be. I'm going to guess he'll end up in B movie straight to DVD limbo eventually. It's happened to far better actors.

Recognize that this is a franchise that actors and actresses could hang a career on. Perhaps when casting for the first movie, that wasn't something anyone felt they could count on, but now I think it is. Really, it's more like casting for a big TV series than for movies. Successful TV shows are steady work, and typically movies are not. This is the franchise to change that, so they need to bring in people who are prepared for it. And hey, what's to not like, you'll still get to make millions for each movie along with all kinds of other money making opportunities as a direct result, and have a rabid fandom to love and hate you. It's like being a rock star!

There's nothing wrong with people having ambition but I think Shia is fooling himself. Ambition could be equally bad as it is good if not more. Have a star athlete hold out his hand wanting more money and refusing to take the generous offer on the table, athlete gets hurt, bye-bye big payday! Actors and actresses have outdumbed themselves in similar ways for decades. They think they're better than you are, pass up the big role and big payday only to fall off into obscurity fast. Just ask Megan Fox, granted she was exiled, but still.

Shia will NEVER have lead role as good as Transformers. That is, if he does get many more leading roles at all.

Archived