MP Ironhide V3

JAF

Well it's been a loooong time (and many attempts) but I've finally put together a kitbash of Ironhide that I feel does the G1 character justice. The shell is a mold of the super hard to find vintage Nitto 1/24 kits. It's not perfect and has some casting imperfections, but hey, Ironhide is an old bot so it's wear and tear from warfare.

I've included WIP shots leading up to the almost done jammy. Enjoy...

mp_ironhide_parts.jpg

MP_tester.jpg

Early test.

IMG_3337bw.jpg

IMG_3335bw.jpg

Early shell fit.

IMG_3338bw.jpg

IMG_3342bw.jpg

IMG_3339bw.jpg

ih_bot1.jpg

ih_bot2_missingRoof.jpg

ih_bot3.jpg

The shell was cut on a band saw. I used a bunch of very small screws to fasten the parts together (glued too of course). There's a bunch of scratchbuild hardware in there as well, made of styrene, steel pins, and various screws.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awesome! I am forever jealous of people like you who can totally redesign and re-engineer a TF and make your own to. I can paint well, but i just havnt been able to get the hang of the scratch building and re-engineering aspect and its frustrating as i have so many cool ideas.

Anyway enough ranting, this is great the only criticism i have which everyone seems to miss whenever they make an ironhide repaint or kitbash is they always forget the gold line down the side of the alt mode. G1 Ironhide has a line right along each side of the van mode but for some reason everybody forgets it. If you could add that on this would be a total masterpiece to me!

Also i think it might be a good idea to black out the windows as it looks like he has nothing inside him, just a robot head stuck ontop of a roof of a van. Maybe either black them out or do some kind of reflective job like a chrome finish to reflect the environment like a real piece of glass does, or maybe just paint them a nice shade of blue on the insides just to make them non-transparent?

Heh, you guys think this is fat?

Take a look at the first version...

07.jpg

It looks like Dolly Parton. But thanks for the feedback as always.

I have not yet found a solution for hte big van chest of Ironhide. And I have not seen one done yet. The only option I see right now is to remove the driver/passender windowframes (like the G1 toy) and have amore gap riddled van that would allow the bot to have completely forward arms. This would give the appearance of the chest being further in.

And Sonray, your stuff is awesome. Don't be frustrated...I'M frustrated (heh) through these entire processes. It's not easy, it's alot of patient, ponderous work. :thumb

Oh yeah, the gold stripe was originally on the decals I put on the side, but the gold is lost due to the translucent nature of the waterslide paper. I'm with you all the way on that stripe though.

And thanks Mench0y. By the way, I just saw your Sludge and WOW! Awesome job man. The proportions and details are great.

maybe you could extend the hinged tabs where the shoulders are mounted that is "over" the side windows, instead of having to cut up the van parts.

Not digging the gundam legs though. I liked the truck based legs more.

Archived