A more "classy" way to display my collection?

faridzadeh

I went the glass curio cabinet way as well..And then a 2nd, 3rd, 4th..I now have 9 spread out over 2 rooms. They look great..Slow the dusting process..But are a pain to work with, move things around etc..And you really don't want to touch the glass..And if/when I have to move again, I absolutely fear it. But it's a far better day then when I did the cheap shelfs on a wall thing too. I was always intrested in having some custom shelves made, but was fortunate enough to find ones made in Big Lots of pretty cheap..But they are really big and do take up so much room that it's kinda forced me out of my own bedroom and into another. Not to say I don't go sleep on my TF bedding on occasion and all but,

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would eventually love to go the glass display case way, but for now I just bought some nicer looking shelves in a variety of shapes, etc... to display my G1 figures.

I have a whole album of my collection, but here's a quick group shot of the setup:

01tfans.jpg

• 3 years later...

A home improvement loan was just approved and I am finally getting some display space. And I am thinking it would be great to get some of those shelves like at the antique mall... but they seem to be cost prohibitive. But I also can't quite find just what I am looking for online, like I don't know what words to use in the Google. If I can't find some reasonably priced ones (they don't even need the lighting) I'm going to stick with some plain white bookshelves instead... and maybe upgrade them in the future to something nicer.

So for example, you can buy a build-it-yourself book shelf (book shelf has more depth than a media/DVD shelf) from any local over-stock store for maybe $40-60. I have gotten some smaller ones I use for movies and video games, so it wouldn't be so bad.

And Ikea is not an option for me... the closest one is a state away. Not counting the one on the other side of the border (in Canada) since I can't go there. And I don't trust buying it online, mostly because I would hardly expect glass to survive shipping.

Trip, buy some really nice bookshelves and get a local glass shop to custom build glass fronts for them. Thats what I did. Cant remember the exact cost but it was reasonable and I love them. The glass shop will have the top and bottom runners so you can make them slide left or right. I even keep them locked to keep the kids out. I never took a full shot of the bookshelves, but in this shot you can see the runners and locks.

http://forums.TFormers.com/talk/index.php?app=gallery&image=19466

Trip, buy some really nice bookshelves and get a local glass shop to custom build glass fronts for them. Thats what I did. Cant remember the exact cost but it was reasonable and I love them. The glass shop will have the top and bottom runners so you can make them slide left or right. I even keep them locked to keep the kids out. I never took a full shot of the bookshelves, but in this shot you can see the runners and locks.

That's definately interesting. I'd just have to make sure I get a kind of shelf that the inside shelves (not including the bottom) doesn't come all the way to the front. I'd have to shop around to find something like that. I typically like to buy things locally if possible.

Is plexi more expensive than glass?

That's definately interesting. I'd just have to make sure I get a kind of shelf that the inside shelves (not including the bottom) doesn't come all the way to the front. I'd have to shop around to find something like that. I typically like to buy things locally if possible.

Is plexi more expensive than glass?

Couldnt tell you about the plexi, never prices it at the glass shop. Home Depot has thin plexi sheets pretty cheap, but not much of a variety of sizes. But I got my shelves at office depot of all places. They were not cheap (maybe $100 a pop) but they were worth it.

I'm really warming up to your idea. I did look at the Plexi prices at Home Depot, I was recommended from a race car driver to only bother with the Lexan stuff. Now that I know this (and the prices) I need to shop around for some shelves. I want to have white ones if possible, but I should consider that I don't need to buy the cheapest ones possible like I currently do, if I need something higher quality.

The thing I already know is possible is I may not find just the right kind of shelving I need, and may need to cut down some internal shelf depth which is fine. And I won't know what size Plexi to buy unless I find some shelves and know just what lenths I can use.

But now my question is where would I get the runners from? I imagine they have those at Home Depot as well. I imagine that you got yours installed from the glass place?

Home Depot has to have something you can use for the runners.

I gave the glass shop the specs to my shelves and they cut them up for me and gave me all the "moving" parts you need to have the glass slide back and forth smoothly. And I mean showcase smooth, the glass sits on rollers in the runners. I just gotta say, before you commit to plexi, price the glass first. Especially if you are going for some really nice bookshelves. I could only assume that plexi would bring down the overall look.

Archived