Kreon Upgrade Kit [shapeways]

Wu Long Ti

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, after much trial and error I finally got a working sphere... however since I did not purchase the full version of the program I cannot cut, or merge objects, so my efforts ended up being very pointless.... still gonna get my Tailgate head proto, he'll have an empty peg hole at the base of his head that the ball can fit into, other than that I don't know what else to do...

That's what I see most heads for articulated papercraft gundams do and it works well enough. If you give a slight lip to your socket to keep the ball from falling right back out if the figure falls over then that might meet the requirements of having a ball socket.

What program are you using?

I'm using Sketchup free, that lip idea would have been good, I already ordered my prototype, so we'll see how it goes

You can chop up or merge objects/groups/components with the free version, you just have to "explode" them first. I think that the only difference between the free and the pro versions have to do with interactions with some architecture program and "corporate licensing".

K, I'll have to look at "exploding" my parts. I worked on an armor set for ROTF/DOTM Optimus Prime last night and couldn't find how to stitch multiple pieces together. In blender I can join vertices but in Sketchup haven't been able to manipulate vertices yet. Sketchup is nice and simple. Blender is powerful but not quite as intuitive. Might have to start up a Shapeways Modeling thread.

Oh, and the .dae export file is able to go back and forth between the two programs.

Maybe you have a different expectation of what "explode" means than what Sketchup thinks it means.

In SU it's basically just "ungroup", so if you're looking for more than that then maybe it's called something else.

If you click on your model and the whole thing is selected in a bounding box then it's grouped and can be exploded. If you click on it and a single face or line is selected then its as raw as its going to get.

There isn't any "merge" in SU but if you're looking to take two things and make them one thing then chop away the extra bits then you'll want to select the faces in question and use "intersect faces" from the right click menu.

Again I recommend going through those tutorials that I linked to earlier.

• 4 weeks later...

for those interested, I've setup an account on Sculpteo as well as on shapeways.

The prices tend to be a little higher, but from what I gather, you get a faster turn-around time and there are more color options. All of the colors are available in polished as well, where as on shapeways only the white can be had in polished.

here's the link

they also offer some customization options. Color doesn't work, nor will using an image as a texture, but you can get a symbol or icon stamped into the parts.. like a duck or something... lol

Archived