Is Galvatron really Megatron?

dura_grip

Well what Hasbro did with the story doesn't really count. It only may help understand how actual events shape a story, but as far as canon goes it can't even be mentioned.

I took Ultra Magnus' comment to imply he didn't know who these new Decepticons were, as in he didn't know that Megatron was Galvatron. As for why Galvatron referred to Megatron by name to Magnus is unclear. He certainly wasn't insane during TFTM, that happened later. It was never revealed in the story how Astrotrain would know he was Galvatron, as he was not around when he got reformatted. Because if he was, so was Starscream since he was a passenger.

You can think whatever you want about Megatron dying during the format, but that is your fanon and not established by the story.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Galvs and Megs are one and the same being. It was only his exposure to the plasma bath on Thrull that hopelessly damaged his mind and produced the insane, unstable being that Galvatron was portrayed as in the G1 cartoon series. If the Decepticons treated the two as if they were different, it was most likely because they were not truly loyal to him to begin with.

Galvs carries a particle accelerator on hi right arm, and it was portrayed as being much more powerful than Megs fusion cannon, capable of destroying worlds if the script called for it. I prefer to think that Megs was simply elevated, not that he ceased to exist in the reformatting process.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

G1 Megatron was smart; he engineered and constructed the Stunticons. Galvatron seems unintelligent and simple-minded, to put it kindly. How can they be the same guy.

I did not see Transformers: The Animated Movie in the 80's. I just went straight to watching season 3 episode here and there. I only watched it once in a while because I was turned off by the drastic change. I missed the episode or scene where Astrotrain referenced what happened in the movie. All I knew was that Optimus Prime died and that's why he was not there. I asked my friends at school what happened to Megatron because I did not make the connection when I saw Galvatron in the season 3 cartoon that he was Megatron. I was wondering where he came from. I asked my friends at school if Megatron died and they said yes; they did not tell me that Galvatron came from Megatron. I did not ask about Galvatron because I was not really interested in him.

I only later on watched the animated movie to find out how Optimus Prime and Megatron died, and where Rodimus Prime and Galvatron came from. Well I guess you can imagine my surprise to find out Galvatron originated from Megatron.

The point is I was was watching season 3 objectively, without knowledge of the animated movie, and I did not make the connection between Galvatron being Megatron. And I think if you present those two characters to someone with no knowledge of Transformers they would assume they were different characters.

Didn't Teletraan One reformat all the Autobots and Deceptions after they crash-landed on earth? Yet they kept all their same names and identities.

I don't like when fans say Megatron was just reformatted. What Teletraan 1 did was reformat. According to the Teletraan 2 files, "Megatron was reformed into a new robot named Galvatron." Fans just say reformat because it sounds cooler and more techy.

All the data from Megatron was downloaded into Galvatron, that's why Galvatron knows everything that Megatron knows. He has all his experiences. Data died in the last Star Trek Next Generation movie. He downloaded all his datum into another body and brain. That does not mean the new robot is still him.