Jin's TRANSFORMERS PAINTING GUIDE

Jin Saotome

You're welcome everyone! Glad you can put this guide to use. Yep, RG figs are being worked on now as we speak.

Cool ya making that little Nokia from the movie?????

Done, check out the RealGearlings I made!

Jin.. Any chance of making this guy.. or have any cool tips for making Movie Prowl

L_01.jpg

That a concept Bumble-barricade? Funny you should show that.... heh. You'll have to wait and see.

I feel dirty for wanting a Swindle now...

Swindle is a fraggin AMAZING figure IRL photos dont do the little monster justice.

[JIN THANKYOU BUT ONE QUESTION WHAT RATIO WOULD YOU USE FOR A WASH

Depends on how dark you want the wash, experiment. I hear 3 drops of water to one of paint works well.

Is there a good type of tape to mask off the areas you dont want to paint? I used masking tape and with the thinned down paint, it seems to bleed into the masked area. Thanks in advance!
Like Len said, that Tam tape or Testors/KustomKolor tape works well. Invisible tape works too if you get a good brand like Scotch and make sure it doesn't peel off the fig while you're painting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but

i've been using red nail polish to tighten joints and gotten some on the toy, how can oi remove the polish(which has dried, sadly, due to me not noticing it) without damaging the paint?

Use water to thin down Acrylic paints, never actual thinner unless you're using enamels. And then only use that specific brand of thinner that goes to the paints!

Hmmm, Acetone takes off nail polish, just be careful because it can eat through hard plastic if you let it sit. Use a paper towel dampened with Acetone. It evaporates fast so you don't really have to worry unless you slop it on.

Thanks for writing this. Shame I didn't bother to look at any kind of guides before starting my first custom (Classics Dirge). Mind you, it's looking okay considering I haven't thinned the paint at all. As it stands, I'm doing two coats on it - would you recommend a third, or more?

Hey Jim, love the customs your the best. I was wondering what brand of paint you use? and if there is any specific set i should get for my TF repaints?

He mentions it specifically in the linked tutorial.

Archived