What do you want the next Transformers series to be based on?

BaCon

I'd like a series with a more mature edge, but still fun. Something writen like Beast Wars . Animated was to childish, and RID/AEC gave me my fill of stock footage for life, so I'm good there.

Really, I'd just like a decent, not one sided story that has a continuos flow and has decent writing and development. Maybe a Classics story, maybe a preearth story, and personaly, I don't care if there's a singlr human in the mix. They can do a perfectly good story without them.

Same sentiments exactly. I've always enjoyed series where there wasn't exactly a cut and dry good or evil side. Maybe do a series during the civil war. More or less start it off as just a conflict of ideas between fellow Cybertronians that spirals out of control. This way the story could be told from both factions and really flesh out the character development as to why characters choose the side they do. So with that, it wouldn't be a battle of good versus evil, just a battle between ideals, leaving a gray area of who is really right. So there could be times the Autobots in their infancy as a group may not take the proverbial high road, whereas the Decepticons may at times display better grace on the battlefield. Just something to mix it up and make it less predictable from week to week.

The story nerd in me REALLY likes this idea. But I think it's too, well, grey for a cartoon for kids unfortunately. Or at least, I very much suspect that'd be the mindset over at Hasbro. Even BW for all it's depth had a clear-cut set of "good guys". I suppose BM had a bit of grey to it, but it's also near universally hated, so.. :lol

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like a series with a more mature edge, but still fun. Something writen like Beast Wars . Animated was to childish, and RID/AEC gave me my fill of stock footage for life, so I'm good there.

Really, I'd just like a decent, not one sided story that has a continuos flow and has decent writing and development. Maybe a Classics story, maybe a preearth story, and personaly, I don't care if there's a singlr human in the mix. They can do a perfectly good story without them.

Same sentiments exactly. I've always enjoyed series where there wasn't exactly a cut and dry good or evil side. Maybe do a series during the civil war. More or less start it off as just a conflict of ideas between fellow Cybertronians that spirals out of control. This way the story could be told from both factions and really flesh out the character development as to why characters choose the side they do. So with that, it wouldn't be a battle of good versus evil, just a battle between ideals, leaving a gray area of who is really right. So there could be times the Autobots in their infancy as a group may not take the proverbial high road, whereas the Decepticons may at times display better grace on the battlefield. Just something to mix it up and make it less predictable from week to week.

The story nerd in me REALLY likes this idea. But I think it's too, well, grey for a cartoon for kids unfortunately. Or at least, I very much suspect that'd be the mindset over at Hasbro. Even BW for all it's depth had a clear-cut set of "good guys". I suppose BM had a bit of grey to it, but it's also near universally hated, so.. :lol

Well I suppose one way to get around the gray is, near the end of the series as things continue to steadily

escalate. Have both factions seeing a long road ahead of them, decide to dig in and cash in all their chips for better or worse shaping their identity into what they will eventually become.

Personally, I'd like to see a complete reboot, but I'd be fine with a whole new story. I know it's important for Hasbro to retain the rights to names such as Optimus Prime and Megatron, but I'm starting to get tired of seeing them in their respective roles all the time. What about new leaders entirely? Not even having OP and Megs in the show. Do something like they did with Machine Wars to retain the rights to names with a seperate toyline, but all new characters and motivations. Then do something drastically different, like having it take place entirely in space, where the respective bases of the factions are gigantic space ships, and their alt modes are based on space vehicles. And, if you demand homages, then you can have Bumblebee with an alt mode that looks like his pre-earth mode from G1. Same with the seekers.

You can only make OP a truck with a different personality so many times before you lose even the most ADD'd kid out there, and 1-2 seasons gets really old. Kid shows CAN have character development, but it has to take place over a longer period than a single season of 13 episodes.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I love OP and all, but I'm just seeing him get deluded through all these reincarnations. With BW, it was the same name, but they made a point of establishing a new character, who wasn't perfect and made mistakes. Loved that about BW.

--OP3k

Personally, I'd like to see a complete reboot, but I'd be fine with a whole new story. I know it's important for Hasbro to retain the rights to names such as Optimus Prime and Megatron, but I'm starting to get tired of seeing them in their respective roles all the time. What about new leaders entirely? Not even having OP and Megs in the show. Do something like they did with Machine Wars to retain the rights to names with a seperate toyline, but all new characters and motivations. Then do something drastically different, like having it take place entirely in space, where the respective bases of the factions are gigantic space ships, and their alt modes are based on space vehicles. And, if you demand homages, then you can have Bumblebee with an alt mode that looks like his pre-earth mode from G1. Same with the seekers.

You can only make OP a truck with a different personality so many times before you lose even the most ADD'd kid out there, and 1-2 seasons gets really old. Kid shows CAN have character development, but it has to take place over a longer period than a single season of 13 episodes.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I love OP and all, but I'm just seeing him get deluded through all these reincarnations. With BW, it was the same name, but they made a point of establishing a new character, who wasn't perfect and made mistakes. Loved that about BW.

--OP3k

So... Gundam + 80% of anime's in the 90's?

bring on classics, theres so much more potintal still not explored.

For me, the perfect series would be:

1. Based on Classics/Universe/Henkei toys. They're still recent/current so it's beneficial for HasTak to market them in a TV series.

2. Be set in-continuity with the G1/G2/Beast Wars/Beast Machines universe. Perhaps it could continue from where Generation 2 ended, as the war was far from over at that point (and let's face it, we all wanted to see the Liege Maximo do something other than sitting there looking menacing! :P). There's a truck-load of things that we know must have occurred between G2 and BW that is just waiting to be told, such as:

+ The Decepticon Liege Maximo and his forces; who wouldn't want to see them in action?

+ The actions of the reformed Swarm and their evolution into the Vok. Perhaps go further into explaining why they felt the need to travel back in time and conduct their weirdo experiments.

+ The expansion of Micromaster-like fuel-conserving technology, which we know will eventually lead to the Maximal/Predacon Upgrade where Transformers become smaller in size but are more energy-efficient. That might be a neat way to introduce some of the Legends Class characters like Brawn, Beachcomber etc. It could even justify having both Deluxe and Legends Bumblebee in the series; he could start off as Deluxe Class but then later become rebuilt as a Legends Class (damn I wish Hasbro would release Legends Wheelie, Cosmos & Warpath!)

+ The origins of Transformers who are _not_ descendant from Autobots and Decepticons (or "Children of Primus") like Tripredacus and Tarantulas were. I would personally like to see them as being spawn of Unicron - it would make perfect sense as to why Tripredacus and Tarantulas tried to eradicate the entire Transformers race.

+ Other further technological advancements, like Transwarp drives... although I think it'd be neat to see the early generations of Transwarp driven ships being more cumbersome and less efficient (i.e. more primitive) than what we see in Beast Wars/Machines. Similar to Star Trek: Enterprise where things like artificial gravity, beaming and the universal translator being far less developed than in other Star Trek stories set in the relative future from Enterprise. :)

...etc!

A G1-esque series but with differences in the atoryline. For example I'd have the opening episode start with a small cruiser with an Autobot crew exploring am amcient wrecked spacecraft with a type of cybertronian language wriiten upon the hull. When a small team including the young Orion Pax, and Sentinel Prime (the leader for now) enter the ship to examine what's inside. Within an hour of them getting in, The Autobots receive a message from their own ship letting them know they're under attack by Decepticons and that they ned them back on the double. At the same time I'd have Decepticons including Starscream and Megatron board the wreckage and begin attacking the Autobots. During a one on one fight between Sentinel and Megatron, Orion is cowering in a corner, as he's a scientist snd not a warrior. Suddenly he sees Sentinel Prime fatally wounded and Megatron walks off looking dissapointed that a Prime fell so easily.

As everything goes quiet, Orion creeps out towards Sentinel Prime to examine him. Sentinel suddenly awakens with a weak glow in his eyes, and tells Orion that he must take "this" (handing over the matrix) and light the Autobots darkest hour. He then struggles to tell orion, that he will be taking leadership of the Autobots, and that he must stop the Decepticons no matter the cost.

Orion would then CHange form into Optimus Prime, and try to use his newly aquired power and wisdom to take Megatron and his fellow Decepticons out once and for all.

I'd love to see that as an intro to a series and work from there

I'd just like to see more focus on plot and less on special effects in the next one. I want more back story and different kinds of transformers. As it stands the characters never get to develop much because Michael Bay is busy blowing everyone's faces off with special effects.

Exciting action is still important to keep kids entertained. As much as I absolutely want a TF series that appeals to mature audiences, it does still need to first and foremost appeal to children. Beast Machines was an adult-centric series and wasn't well received, even among adult fans (people were making death threats against Bob Skir years before Michael Bay had ever heard about Transformers :/).

Here's a different idea: how about a series where the leaders are NOT named "Optimus" or "Megatron"?!?!?!?

Seriously! Hasbro currently doesn't need to make another Optimus and Megatron for the next series since the current movie franchise will keep the names in use (thus protecting them as trademarks).

...and please not Leader-1 and Cy-Kill. Just because Hasbro owns the rights to these names doesn't mean they should use them, at least not as faction leaders. I always did like how Leader-1 was Megatron's beeotch in Armada. ;D

Archived