DOTM on DVD

madman1366

Now with DOTM on DVD and plenty of time for folks to absorb things better than they might have had a chance to in theaters, how have any views changed?

What stuck out to me the most was how much Bay was really trying to re-create the same formula he used in the first movie. A great deal of people hated the first hour, but now, I see as being essentially the same as the "boy and his first car" story only now it was "boy looks for first job" instead. But more than that Bay was trying to make Sam a guy that most Americans right now can really relate to. He's through with college, and lost in a sea of no opportunity and gets forced to take a job he hates and doesn't want. He's feeling a lot of desperation and a bit of despair and I think it's not so different for most average people these days.

You also had a nice bit of irony sewn in. Before, Sam just wanted to have a normal life. Now, while he's in his somewhat "normal" life all he wants is to do things that matter again...Like that time he was helping giant alien robots save the world. It was showing his character coming full circle and finally realizing who he is. As the movie progresses through that last hour, Sam finally drops the goofy kid act he put up over the first 2 1/2 movies and finds resolve. I mean hell, he kills Starscream! By the time we get knee deep into the final battle, Sam's not the sheepish kid he was. I liked that a lot and feel that's been a bit overlooked to this point. So long as they didn't regress his character in future movies I think he could still be a strong character to use. With Shia? Probably not.

I would tend to think in future movies, Sam's character would be older and probably played by an older actor. Married to Carly with son Daniel. After that though, who knows?!?

The main difference is that Bay still needed more action than in the first. So it had to be relatively the same formula with more action. Well of course, action will take away from characterization every time. Everyone wants more development and more action. Sorry, you can't have both!!!

I've watched the movie several times again and I think more and more it was the spectacle of it all along with the high anticipation that led to people feeling a letdown. Overall I seriously believe this is a trilogy that while was insanely successful, won't really be appreciated as much now as it will be in another 10 or 15 years. I've seen a TON of movies that got shafted upon release only to see opinions change years later. I think this trilogy will be one that more folks will look back on someday and wonder why they didn't like it more.

He grew on me a lot the moment he made Hellscream's ugly mug explode into bits

As for moments I finally "got", well I finally understood Sentinel's revival being part of Megatron's plot....And the fact that they were originally meant to rendezvous from the beginning. Saw the movie in theaters twice yet I missed that detail both times

Okay, just to explain, the DVD isn't out here yet (comes out next month - I've already reserved a copy at my local JB hi Fi store ;)), but a friend of mine acquired a copy through dubious means (cough) and we were watching it yesterday and we were having a debate about one line...

In part where Ratchet is leading human forces toward a bridge, we couldn't hear what he was saying properly - even after jacking up the volume and rewinding and replaying that line several times. I think he says "Target that bridge" or maybe "Aim at that bridge," but my friend thinks he says "Lower that bridge." Which is it? Or is it something else entirely? Could someone please clarify this for us? A screen cap with subtitles would be most appreciated. :)

Cheers.

I agree with all these revelations. And I relate with Sam in the college and job finding, me being almost 20 years old now.. But I digress. What I keep noticing as I keep watching the movie on DVD is that long legged Decepticon that shows up during the final battle. I really wish I could see a close up.

Dotm-wreckers-film-fighting.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

DVD finally came out today! Okay, I found the twins.

Now... the scene where the Xanthium takes off with the exiled Autobots - we see a Decepticon jet shoot down the Xanthium. I've always assumed it was Starscream... TFwiki says it's Starscream. But a friend of mine pointed out to me... his robot mode has blue bits on him! Does that make him Thundercracker?? Aside from the blue, we only see this Transformers speak in Cybertronian, thus we never hear Starscream's voice (granted he only sounds like that when he speaks English -- his Cybertronian voice sounds generic). But then... he has alien tatts like Starscream. And later in the film when we see Starscream, he doesn't have any blue bits on his robot form.

So... does this mean that the Decepticon who shot down the Xanthium was Thundercracker (or maybe some other blue Decepticon... Dirge?), or was it Starscream who decided to go Smurfy when he shot down the Xanthium... maybe "Deep Space Starscream"? (sure beats Hasbro's Baby Blue) The jet mode looks completely like Starscream... the blue is only visible on his cheeks and I think a few other parts of the body - but it's subtle. The rest of the robot is still principally gray like Starscream. But Starscream is completely devoid of these blue highlights later in the film.

Here's some pics for comparison:

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/b/b1/Starscreaminorbit.jpg <--BLUE CHEEKS!

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/a/a8/DOTM_-_StarscreamSaw.jpg <--no blue!

Maybe Evil Betty from Kung Pow's up to his old tricks again and changing Starscream's colours... "Your face is blue!" :P

I would think that's just a shading effect. Same thing happened in ROTF when a group of Raptors were attacking and as they came around they appeared to each look like a different seeker color for a split second.

Just my own personal canon, but I will forever be convinced those raptors were Thundercracker and Skywarp...Prime flew in behind them and they both were blown to pieces..

Pretty sure that was Hellscream. I mean why would Thundercracker only appear for just 1 scene and not show up in the final battle at all?

• 2 months later...

I saw the DOTM movie in theathres in 3D.

I still haven't bought the DOTM movie on DVD yet. I'm waiting for the DVD with the Extras to come out. I like to see the behind the scenes stuff. like deleted scenes,bloopers real,interviews,commentary,design sketches,etc..

Archived