What? IDW Just ruined the TF comics even further....

Shadowpanther

What you just described holds true for most comic book pencillers in this day and age. More than a few of them have no concept of proportions/anatomy, perspective or very much of anything. The concept of telling a story with your art alone via well-rendered sequential images has been dying a hard and miserable death for years.

And you just described why I don't buy comics anymore.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you just described holds true for most comic book pencillers in this day and age. More than a few of them have no concept of proportions/anatomy, perspective or very much of anything. The concept of telling a story with your art alone via well-rendered sequential images has been dying a hard and miserable death for years.

And you just described why I don't buy comics anymore.

Amen to that. :beer

for the record...Dreamwave sucked...Pat Lee's art is terrible....puffy robots?...for real?...nah...i'll take IDW any day....granted ive just started reading the IDW series from the beginning..im about to start AHM...thats as far in as i am...but the art and stories are much better than DW....i can draw robots better than pat lee..

still better then IDW

This crap is so unneeded and turned me away from IDW permanently

Is that from Infestation? I don't remember that.

I enjoy IDW TF comics, but never really understood them inventing a zombie virus that had the ability to infect robots.

It is from the on going book just like this crap is unneeded. Does not even look like Hot Rod

Yeah, I remember that style. It caused some controversy at the start of the ongoing series. I never hated it like some folks did, but I like the more traditional style they're doing now. I recall the death and subsequent rebirth of Ironhide, but I still don't recall that first panel. I'll need to re-read some old issues to get the context on that.

Is that EJ Su or Nick Roche? Because I never really cared for either artist. Trying to give a robot emotional aesthetics was a big FAIL for me.

Is that EJ Su or Nick Roche? Because I never really cared for either artist. Trying to give a robot emotional aesthetics was a big FAIL for me.

Personally epic fail for me was when the G-2 TF comic artist tried to give the robots,robotic styled veins or whatever as their necks.

Another epic fail was the G-1 comic artist trying to give the transformers eye balls like humans had.

As far as epic fail for the IDW artist goes. I'm not a fan of the inconsistency in robot/alt modes for the various differenrt IDW TF G-1 comic titles.

I didn't care for the 2011 TF art designs for the transformers. the hootrod design was awful.

As far as the DW Transformers art went. I didn't mind the pat lee puffy robots. at least they tried to look like G-1 homages. I did like seeing optimus prime get his masterpiece toy design in the DW comic.

I liked the DW art better than the IDW art. because the DW TF art had more one page,one panels. the current IDW art has too many panels on a page & it looks like a sunday paper comic strip with tons of panels seperating the scenes on one page.

It doesn't take a genious to figure out. IDW holds off on all the intense fighting scenes,saves them for the 6th issue/near the end of each volume. because the fight scenes art cost more money & helps wrap up a volume.

Dreamwave had more fight scenes & more exspensive TF art/inks in their comics.

• 3 weeks later...

What? IDW Just ruined the TF comics even further....

So another Marvel TF G-1 Decepticon leader gets killed off in the IDW TF G-1 comic? I read on another TF forum that Ratbat got killed in the IDW TF G-1 2012 comics recently. I haven't read the issues yet,so can't confirm anything.

Is IDW on a mission to ruin the TF comic fiction?

I really don't see how killing off a character from Marvel possibly "ruins" the IDWverse. They're completely different continuities.

Honestly,IDW's TF comics is horrible in both story & art compared to Dreamwave. marvel had better TF stories/persona's.

Pat Lee's art was just complete rubbish. As others have said - lack of perspective, poor anatomical proportions (how the hell can his TFs make a fist or operate tools/weapons with such CHUNKY hands and fingers? Imagine wearing a pair of cricket gloves and trying to operate a firearm...), poor visual narrative... I agree that Marvel was the best though. :) As for story... Dreamwave's initial stories were also rubbish. The first volume of their G1 was just giant robots roaming around fighting. It did get better after that, I'll admit... but then the company folded just things were getting good.

One thing that irks me with both DW and IDW is that neither of them give you "bang for your buck" compared to Marvel. Each issue is so "light"... back in the 80s and 90s you grab an issue and there's a solid read - lots of adventure, action and story happening (more so in the UK comics)... nowadays I pick up a TF comic... flick flick flick, oh, I'm done. The thing that I really don't like about IDW comics atm - you can go through an ENTIRE issue and _ONE_ character transforms.

Honestly... they're writing stories that are good stories as stories... but they're not terribly good Transformers stories. Because quite honestly, you could really easily retell this story with an entire cast of non-Transformers. I don't want that... I want a _Transformers_ story, thank you. And that's something I felt Furman and Budiansky were better at doing.

Another thing that really sh!ts me about IDW: the writing is FAR too human-centric, and not only that, but Yankocentric. No offence to any Americans out there, but these are ALIEN robots... the stories are being told on alien worlds... they don't need to be so god-damn human/American! And I'm talking about things like:

+ Text written in ENGLISH (what??). I'm talking about signage, labels etc. At least write them in a pseudo-Cybertronian script so it looks Cybertronian but is legible in English (as has been done in previous IDW issues).

+ Humancentric terminology, like referring to each other as "people" (or worse... "men").

+ Anglocentric acronyms like "NAILs" and "Triple M" etc. Please don't tell me that in the Cybertonian language(s), these words just happen to spell out these acronyms which just happen to spell a certain word with the same derogatory connotation in English. You can barely even do that with another _Earth_ language, what are the intergalactic odds that it would work out in a completely ALIEN language?!?

e.g. French = non-alignés forme de vie indigène (NAFI?); German = Blockfreien Einheimische Lebensformen (BEL), Vietnamese = không liên kết dưới hình thức cuộc sống bản địa (KLKDHTCSBD)... yeah, that totally works </sarcasm>

Personally,I feel,that when simon furman got taken off the TF G-1 IDW comics,that's when everything when downhill.

*cough* Shane McCarthy *cough*

Last Stand of the Wreckers was bloody brilliant though. :) If all of IDW's series could be written like that, I'd be one happy chappy. :)

I'm a bit upset because IDW just killed off another Marvel TF G-1 Comic decepticon leader called "Ratbat"

I guess killing off/MIA megatron,Optimus & Galvatron wasn't enough IDW damage in the Choas saga.

Again, I really don't see how this AT ALL affects the quality of IDW.

Having bumblebee as the IDW TF G-1 faction leader makes no sense. he's not a big bulky sized robot. he lacks fighting skills. he's not smart,not a scientist,doesn't know much about cybertron's history. Clearly grimlock,jetfire,fortmax,ultra magnus or hotrod turned into rodimus prime would have made better autobot faction leaders than bumblebee in optimus prime's absense.

Bumblebee was ELECTED as leader. This means that the majority of the Autobots felt that he was most suitable to replace Optimus Prime as the next leader. Does it mean he is? Not necessarily... but guess what, that's how democracy works! You can look at any democratically elected leader - Barack Obama, John Key, Stephen Harper, David Cameron etc.; are they the best person for the job? That's a matter of political opinion -- but the fact is that they were placed in that position by a majority vote; and sometimes (arguably often) the less competent leader gets voted in. I've not included my own Prime Minister because our last Federal election ended in a Hung Parliament (so she's currently leading a minority government).

And here is the weakness of democracy: democracy is popularity contest, and being popular doesn't mean you're competent. The same thing happened in Marvel G1 when the Autobots voted for Grimlock as their leader; as you said, he's big bulky and strong... but then what happened? He became a corrupt tyrant dictator and self-declared "King." Well that sucked.

Also, Optimus Prime was never elected as Autobot leader either. In Marvel G1 he was nominated by Councillor Xaaron and then High Councillor Traachon vetoed himself out of office, allowing Optimus Prime to assume supreme executive command of the Autobots. There was no election; nobody outside of the Autobot Council of Elders had any say in the matter. In Dreamwave Optimus Prime was "chosen" by the Matrix - which is a rather Arthurian way of selecting a leader, and as Monty Python and the Holy Grail taught us...

"strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. / you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you! / I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!" :D

Having megatron & galvatron,bumblebee & goldbug being different persona's in the IDW TF comics wasn't enough IDW damage.

Dude... Galvatron was originally a separate persona in the original Hasbro toy continuity (and remember - the toys came first!). The Sunbow Cartoon and Marvel Comics made Galvatron the same persona as Megatron, but a lot of other sources followed toy canon and maintained Galvatron as a separate character (e.g. Ladybird Books). Now Goldbug is originally meant to be Bumblebee, but I don't see the harm in establishing him as a separate character.

Once again, I really don't see how this affects the integrity of IDW since it's a separate continuity. Does it bother you that they totally changed Metalhawk? Instead of being a noble Autobot, he's now a gas-bagging dog-whistle blowing hippie who's really quite useless at doing anything constructive other than encouraging DISSENT amongst the neutrals.

I give CREDIT to IDW for actually going back to the original sources of some of these G1 characters... like making Galvatron a separate persona as he originally was, or FINALLY showing Thundercracker's true colours as someone who doubts the Decepticon cause (but still strongly disagrees with the Autobot cause too). This was something that was written in his original 1984 tech specs profile, making him one of the most interesting Decepticon characters out there (far more interesting than the treacherous but inept Starscream) but nobody had ever exploited this before IDW! And IDW has been the ONLY one who's written HASBRO Overlord into a story! Have a good look at him in LSotW... that's NOT Takara's Masterforce Overlord, it's _Hasbro's_ Overlord! (his persona matches the Hasbro tech specs profile)

To make matters worse Scorponok got buthered in the weird IDW TF G-1 headmasters clone saga. Thunderwing went crazy & lost his marbles. Sixshot got taken off-line by galvatron. overlord got taken apart from the inside by a micro-virus.

G-2 Jhiaxus in the IDW TF G-1 comics is portrayed as a really tiny robot,who's a mad scientist who does weird experiments. it's a far cry persona from the mighty,wise,tall,bulky & old persona G-2 Jhiaxus had in the G-2 Marvel comics. I don't recall if IDW Jhiaxus is dead or alive currently.

Dude... it's NOT the same continuity. Do you hate Bayverse because Barricade's a black and white police car and not a pink and blue F1 racer?? Or that Scorpnok is just a drone for Blackout, a "far cry" from his massive G1 Decepticon city-fortress self???

There are things about the Bay movies I don't like, but NONE of them are related to the fact that it's "not like G1" because - surprise surprise - it's NOT G1!

for the record...Dreamwave sucked...Pat Lee's art is terrible....puffy robots?...for real?...nah...i'll take IDW any day....granted ive just started reading the IDW series from the beginning..im about to start AHM...thats as far in as i am...but the art and stories are much better than DW....i can draw robots better than pat lee..

+1 ^totally agree.

Personally epic fail for me was when the G-2 TF comic artist tried to give the robots,robotic styled veins or whatever as their necks.

Yeah, but that's a stylistic thing (and in hindsight Manny Galan has admitted it was a mistake to try and mimic Derek Yaniger's style). It's not _technically_incorrect_ like Pat Lee. Manny Galan's art still had correct proportions, foreshortening/perspective and visual continuity between panels; even if you don't like the art. Same with Dwayne Turner... I think his art is HORRIBLE, but it's not necessarily _bad_ (from a technical POV)... I just don't think it suits Transformers.

Another epic fail was the G-1 comic artist trying to give the transformers eye balls like humans had.

As far as epic fail for the IDW artist goes. I'm not a fan of the inconsistency in robot/alt modes for the various differenrt IDW TF G-1 comic titles.

I didn't care for the 2011 TF art designs for the transformers. the hootrod design was awful.

As far as the DW Transformers art went. I didn't mind the pat lee puffy robots. at least they tried to look like G-1 homages. I did like seeing optimus prime get his masterpiece toy design in the DW comic.

I liked the DW art better than the IDW art. because the DW TF art had more one page,one panels. the current IDW art has too many panels on a page & it looks like a sunday paper comic strip with tons of panels seperating the scenes on one page.

It doesn't take a genious to figure out. IDW holds off on all the intense fighting scenes,saves them for the 6th issue/near the end of each volume. because the fight scenes art cost more money & helps wrap up a volume.

Dreamwave had more fight scenes & more exspensive TF art/inks in their comics.

RE: eyeballs, I believe that was the fault of Marvel US inker Dave Hunt.

RE: Inconsistent designs -- I agree with you there. I hate that too. That really broke visual continuity when they were jumping between G1 style to Neo-G1 style to G1-movie hybrid style... gah! You know it gets bad when the comic has to LABEL each Transformer and tell you who they are because the design style's so weird that you can't immediately tell by looking! At least now they seem to be settling down with more consistent designs. I wish they would've just based the designs off the Classicsverse toys - which they _sometimes_ do, but then they don't keep it up... *sigh* consistency please.

RE: action. I also agree with you here. There just isn't enough action in recent IDW comics. As I said before, in the last couple of issues you can go through entire issues and just ONE character will transform. Seriously, I've been counting. It's so rare to see anyone transform. The stories in themselves are well written (RiD gives political intrigue and MTMTE is a scifi space adventure)... but come on... these are Transformers - transfoming is part of the biological function. Too often we see them running or even using other vehicles to get around instead of just using their alt modes! As Trailbreaker once said in More Than Meets The Eye, Part 2, "It sure beats walking!"

And here's another gripe I have with IDW atm... unimaginative series names! Robots in Disguise?!? More Than Meets The Eyes??! Come on... how _uncreative_ is that?? And it's highly ironic considering that both these catchphrases describe the fact that the Transformers can TRANSFORM, and there's a sore lack of transformation in these series!! Although some people say that "Robots In Disguise" works more on a political level - e.g. Prowl "disguises" himself as being a noble Autobot, yet he's using illegal and morally/ethically questionable methods (like sicking Arcee on Ratbat). But they still could have come up with more imaginative names if they sat down and thought about it.

As for Furman... ReGeneration One is going to be a continuation of the Marvel G1, placing it in a different continuity from the rest of IDW, so no matter how that turns out it won't "save" or "ruin" IDW TF comics as far as the wider IDWverse is concerned. Possibly from a commercial POV it may, as people who are dissatisfied with the IDWverse may then start collecting RG1 as it runs off the original Marvel G1 universe.

I don't collect IDW comics anymore. E.J. Su was not one of my favorite artists. And then Don changed his style to make them look more Bay Movie Like. And to be honest I hated those Bionicle Transformers. The current art is just not something I like. I did enjoy their AHM comic and Metroplex. I was really liking Beast wars until that last comic where they tried to rush it. As for artists I have no idea if they are forced to draw a certain style but they all Idw art looks so weird now. The only issue I had with DW is that they Let Jae Lee Draw a Tf comic. To this day I still can't tell you who some of the bots were or what they changed into. But I can tell you this: I have EVERY one of the DW comics but maybe 15% of the IDW stuff. And most of that is the Beast wars comics. But as long as IDW doesn't let ROB LIEFELD any where near their comics they should be ok.

I don't collect IDW comics anymore. E.J. Su was not one of my favorite artists. And then Don changed his style to make them look more Bay Movie Like. And to be honest I hated those Bionicle Transformers. The current art is just not something I like. I did enjoy their AHM comic and Metroplex. I was really liking Beast wars until that last comic where they tried to rush it. As for artists I have no idea if they are forced to draw a certain style but they all Idw art looks so weird now. The only issue I had with DW is that they Let Jae Lee Draw a Tf comic. To this day I still can't tell you who some of the bots were or what they changed into. But I can tell you this: I have EVERY one of the DW comics but maybe 15% of the IDW stuff. And most of that is the Beast wars comics. But as long as IDW doesn't let ROB LIEFELD any where near their comics they should be ok.

Personally,I can over look bad TF comic art. As I bought & read the TF G-1 & G-2 marvel comics with it's awful art.

I can't forgive horribly written TF comic stories,dialogue & wrong character persona's. What I don't like about IDW's TF G-1 comic stories,plots,character persona & dialogue is as follows:(1) Having bumblebee as the autobot leader for almost 18 Months now. bumblebee isn't leadership material & he never will be. he's not smart enough,not trained,has zero combat skills,is small,not that strong. he's received zero training in "prime/leadership" ways. (2)The Choas saga killed/MIA 3 strong competent faction leaders in a singular issue,which were optimus megatron & galvatron. (3)the chaos saga was a huge let down. it was suspose to star the "D-Void" character. but newer writters came in changed all that & gave the D-Void barely 6 pages to star in.

(4)all hail bumblebee had the worst dialogue I've ever read in a TF comic. when ther autobots were afraid of the humans in control of the self restrain devices they spoke corny dialoge. (4)I don't understand why IDW needs to take away the upgraded modes. like goldbug & galvatron being seperate pesona/spark characters than megatron & bumblebee. (5) the IDW TF comics stories/plots/arcs don't feel like Transformers stories. (6) all the re-writes & plot chsnges when newer writters climb on board to take over the comic title is really annoying. It just feels like I wasted my time when everything gets re-written or drastically changed/altered.

Archived