Kreon Upgrade Kit [shapeways]

Wu Long Ti

http://www.shapeways.com/model/788450/kreon_upgrade___torso_set.html

674x501_788450_670137_1353894269.jpg

The set is currently UNTESTED but it's available now for those that feel daring. I've added ZERO markup until I have a tested version in hand and I'm happy with it and Shapeways has a promotion right now that if you order it, you get free shipping!

I wanted to make this available to you guys even if untested so you could take advantage of the deals they have going on. :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wu, what are you using to model these out? I've started using blender but I'm concerned about getting the measurements right on my models. Like the 5mm attachment points etc.

I have Blender on my machine and have even opened it once or twice but it was a bit over whelming for me at the time. I might be ok now... I'm a real noob and it's taking me ages to wrap my head around 3D programs, so I've been doing all of my modeling in Google's Sketchup. I find it to be very intuitive and sort of like a CADD lite. With this kind of stuff I certainly don't need to be able to render hair or textures or any kind of organic shapes. I think that kind of stuff is beyond the abilities of Sketchup but for building this kind of robot stuff it works a treat. It allows you to type in measurements so that your models can be exact as possible. I recommend this series of tutorials in getting started w/ Sketchup: http://www.harwoodpodcast.com/sketchup/

For matching measurements, I have a digital micrometer that I'm borrowing from a friend and I've been taking and retaking measurements like mad and then crossing my fingers and hoping I didn't screw something up when I order the parts lol

Is sketchup adequate for modeling new heads? Been trying to find a way to get some more G1 accurate heads for certain characters and customs, like a Tailgate custom from RTS Windcharger.

It depends on how organic you want your heads to be. Sketchup is great for making blocky flat things, but if you want the heads to have any kind of natural curves to them then you're probably better off going with another program.

On another note... I wonder what this could be ;)

A8rhVHcCMAAIrds.jpg

Are you using the free version of sketchup?

Cool. I'll have to check out sketchup again. Maybe import a model into Blender for the curves and create them in sketchup. At work I downloaded chapters for a Blender book so it makes learning the interface easier.

Sweet, that claw looks nice.

Thankfully most of the heads I'm trying to make don't have that organic of an appearance, new IDW styled Tailgate head, new G1 comic model head for Triggerhappy (Universe Dirge). Those should start me off.

I can't think of what that design looks like off the top of my head but I think you should be ok. I'm planning on making replacement helmet/heads for the Kreon combiners when they come out so I'll be in the same boat as you. I'm going to be attempting my first replacement helmet with the current expansion set I'm working on so I'll let you know how it goes.

Are you using the free version of sketchup?

Cool. I'll have to check out sketchup again. Maybe import a model into Blender for the curves and create them in sketchup. At work I downloaded chapters for a Blender book so it makes learning the interface easier.

Sweet, that claw looks nice.

yeah, I'm using sketchup 8 free both at home and at work (I work on these during my lunch some times) and I think I'm starting to get pretty comfortable in it.

Thanks, if my measurements are correct then the parts for this claw should be pretty versatile in coming up with new models. The smaller ball joints are the same as the shoulder joints so the claws could be attached to torsos or arms attached to the claw hub.. and with a new part in this "wave" you could even use the claw parts as feet. ^__^

Archived