It's Been A Year!

Autobot Hearse

I want the movie toys off the shelves NOW! In the meantime I've resorted to looking at the newly nude pics of Megan Fox floating around on the net...

mmm...

Well here's to hoping she takes her shirt off in TF2.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've watched it twice since buying it last year.

After a year I can't see a lot of opinions changing all that much.

Give it another five or ten and we'll see if it still holds up as well as some of the movies ten/twenty years ago. :thumb

Recently bought LFODH really cheap and rewatched it. Not as good as I remember.

most important thing about this movie was that you didn't have to be a fan to fully enjoy it. The fact we had Peter Cullen as Prime took care of my fanboy needs...the rest was all fun. The true acid test was that people like my girlfriend who frankly have ZERO interest in this stuff enjoyed the movie. A good cast, a well paced script and a proper director. Yes, Michael Bay was the proper guy. A director who does "blow em up" movies was just what we needed. Schumaker (don't care how you spell it) would have made it too much like the cartoon...and if Anderson or Boll even touched it I would have sent a hit squad...

Just enough of what we liked...

And I'll watch Prime transform over and over again in that "come get some" stance and STILL get chills.

Yeah, speaking for Prime Collector here, but I know he still hates it lol.

I was pleased overall, will see #2 probably. At least when it comes out on dvd.

>Is it still awesome?

Yup

>Do you feel bad for all of your pre-movie Baybashing?

No, because most of my bashing was about the character designs, and I still don't like most of them.

>Are the bot design aesthetics not as bad as they started?

Nope. They still don't appeal to me for the most part. I only liked Optimus, Bumblebee, Jazz & Barricade. And Megatron still looks like Doomsday.

Any chance of getting an Animated movie instead? Both the character designs and the writing are worlds better. The movie was good for a summer flick, but the storytelling in Animated is far better IMO. But then the writers do have a lot more time to develop the characters.

Almost unwatchable as far as I'm concerned. I just viewed it the other day with Rifftrax, and that barely saved it. It's a movie about a bunch of two-dimensional characters I can't relate to. That's the movie's biggest problem as far as I'm concerned. The best scene with the robots, in my opinion, was the back yard scene. That gag went on for far too long, though, and was filled with silliness that I just can't handle. I feel the robots were really just window dressing. They weren't fleshed out at all. As for the action, I feel the CGI was too blurry and hard to follow. Granted, that applies to lots of films nowadays, but it's just one more item on my gripe list.

Was there cool stuff in the movie? Sure. Did it outweigh the bad in my opinion? Not even close. Hackers and donuts, goofball secret agents, multiple characters being urinated on, and a slew of other items don't just take away from the movie -- they ARE the movie. That's what you're watching when you pop in the Transformers DVD. It has nothing to do with not being "G1 enough," or anything like that. It's just that no matter how hard I try to like it, I just can't.

When someone makes a movie ABOUT Transformers, somebody give me a call. Until then, I'll find my entertainment elsewhere.

most important thing about this movie was that you didn't have to be a fan to fully enjoy it. The fact we had Peter Cullen as Prime took care of my fanboy needs...the rest was all fun. The true acid test was that people like my girlfriend who frankly have ZERO interest in this stuff enjoyed the movie. A good cast, a well paced script and a proper director. Yes, Michael Bay was the proper guy. A director who does "blow em up" movies was just what we needed. Schumaker (don't care how you spell it) would have made it too much like the cartoon...and if Anderson or Boll even touched it I would have sent a hit squad...

Just enough of what we liked...

And I'll watch Prime transform over and over again in that "come get some" stance and STILL get chills.

i agree! having peter cullen in it really made me happy. gave me chills when i started hearing the commercials with his voice in it. the only thing i can do with out is the whole sector 7 subplot. other than than, i'm still stoked for it when i watch the movie now. plus chicks dig it!!!

:win

Guest Primal-Convoy

Good Points:

1/ Cutting-edge CG

2/ Fast Action is SOME scenes

3/ Pretty good hype

4/ Optimus Prime design wasnt as bad as some of thought he would be.

Bad points:

1/ Film, to me, is a loose collection of scenes, with only two really being jaw-dropping (Blackout's first transformation an attack on the base and the dessert battle against Scorponok. "Bring the Rain!").

2/ Megatron's design was flawed, with him basically being a metallic HR Geiger Alien.

3/ The toy versions of Megatron failed to convey his sleek lines and movie design adequately, meaning that both fans of and haters of the movie Megs design didnt like any of them, affecting sales (Who actually wanted ICE on their Megatron?)

4/ The original voice actor of Megatron could have been easily used. Frank Welker was used for the video games and other promotional aspects of the film and Hugo Weaving was only used for a mere 5-10 minute's-worth of dialogue in the film. Those unfamiliar with Welker wouldn't have noticed and fans would have loved it. A win-win situation which was sadly missed.

5/ The toy line wasnt planned well enough. However many of of us feel about the movie design, I think it is fair to say that the paint-apps of the figures didn't match the intricate details of the subject matter (either compared to the on-screen models or the existing molded-in details of the toys). Grey plastic was a-plenty, with little or no metallic details, faces were not painted in a lot of details.

Furthermore, too many "different" versions of the same toy were released, swamping the shelves and frustrating customers who had already bought a previous version. I cite the "Premium" line as a case in point. These should have been standard issue. In fact, something much closer to the likes of Jin et al's customs should have been made as collector's editions, with a more McFarlane detailed approach to their paint apps to show off the really nice details that are present in the movie toys. Megatron should have been silver and gold and I bet more people would have bought him.

6/ Bhey wasn't consistent. he said "size shifting" wasn't appropriate and then made the Allspark do just that, with almost a full scene devoted to it. Naughty naughty.

7/ They didn't play the Mutemath "TF Theme" at the end of the film, which was practically heresy. Spiderman and the Hulk both did, after all (well, Hulk had it in a scene and Spidey's was at the end).

I realy enjoyed the movie, it was a nice update. It wasn't perfect, the bots all looked odd, and all the time spent on humans could have been put more into character development. It sucks that all the Decepticons showed up basicly at the end of the movie from no place.

Even shadowed in the backround of some scenes would have been cool.

But otherwise, I realy liked. If I flipped it in my DVD player now, no I couldn't watch it, but thats only cause I over watched it.

As for the toys, well, batch all you want, I love them. Granted a couple sucked, but the actual alt modes, and unorthodox bot designs where a great break from the norm. Hell, I'll take them over this Animated crap anyday.

I still like the Movie line, I didn't give into all the repaints, but today I saw Leader BulkHead between a Premium Prime and Megatron...

OK, BulkHead may have a smiley piece of bubblegum as a second for his head and voice clips, but the movie figs where just so much more massive and detailed, that he was outshined completely.

Thats my 2cents.

Archived