A more "classy" way to display my collection?

faridzadeh

I have a rather large collection of Transformers that take up an entire Ikea shelving unit. About 65 inches wide, a foot deep, and and four shelves. So it's pretty big, and although my room is HUGE, I still feel like it takes up too much of a presence. If that makes any sense.

I would still like to display them in my room, but would like to class them up, so it doesn't feel like my room belongs to a 20 year old. High end comic shops always have their toys in beautiful displays that make the same toy look may more impressive.

So my question is, has anyone else felt their collection appearance needed an update, and how they went about fixing it.

thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could always "dress up" your existing shelving with a fresh coat of paint, building steps, and adding some inexpensive LED lighting. Check out my feeble attempt here. While the acrylic material is on the more expensive side and is a bit difficult to work with, you could also achieve the same stepped effect using wood or sturdy cardboard even. The stepped shelving allows you to stagger the figs and also allows figs in the back row greater visibility.

You could always "dress up" your existing shelving with a fresh coat of paint, building steps, and adding some inexpensive LED lighting. Check out my feeble attempt here. While the acrylic material is on the more expensive side and is a bit difficult to work with, you could also achieve the same stepped effect using wood or sturdy cardboard even. The stepped shelving allows you to stagger the figs and also allows figs in the back row greater visibility.

Shoot, I wouldn't call that feeble, it looks really nice - I like how you did the SW Titaniums.

I think what makes a lot of displays look crappy is simply having way too many figures - the clutter just becomes distracting and makes it look like a kid's room.

One to go about it if you have a bunch of figures is to only display a few at a time (pick a theme for the week, etc.) - for instance, one week just have Classics, or Cybertron Decepticons, etc. That way your collection isn't overpowering to visitors (or yourself) and it stays fresh, instead of transform once and forget on a shelf - plus, if you find that there are certain 'bots you never end up displaying, maybe it's just time for them to go.

I think what makes a lot of displays look crappy is simply having way too many figures - the clutter just becomes distracting and makes it look like a kid's room.

Wow, it's like you came into my bedroom and saw my display. Then broke my heart with a single comment. :redface

Yeah, I could use twice the space I have, but I'm boned until we can by a house, pref. 3BR+.

I would absolutely recommend getting some high end display cases (see my Collection here), but if you can't afford that, then thin out your displayed collection and showcase some of your better figures. I had everything crammed in one very nice display case, but crammed is still crammed and it looked bad. I bought a second case and spread things out and I think they look much better now (of course I could stand for a 3rd case as I immediately filled the second one as well and still have quite a few figures living in the closet). I strongly recommend getting something w/ lights and if possible glass shelves. If you can't get lights pre-installed, then go to Lowe's and grab some under-cabinet lights and put those in recessed areas if you have them. I took a barrister's bookcase and a stereo cabinet, put lights in them and had a pretty nice display relatively cheaply.

Piggy, that is really really nice. Those lights work perfectly and your limited display really showcases what you do have out. That is awesome!!!

For most fans, space is at a premium, and yet we still keep buying the toys. You can choose to go quality, or quantity, and most of us choose the latter. So what you end up with is a wall of TFs all put on cheap bookshelves and if you knock one over, the rest will all fall like dominoes. This is not a great solution, and looks terrible.

Sentinel and Piggy have both got excellent displays. Lit, custom built shelves make even a small collection look fantastic. Granted, they are very expensive, but hey, so is collecting Transformers. The display of the pieces is probably more important than the pieces themselves. Put Piggy's display of Alternators in a lit case next to a cheap steel shelving unit with rare Japanese pieces like Star Saber on it and by far, the better DISPLAY will be more impressive.

If you are like me, and cost is always an issue, lit, glass shelves may not be an option. However, you can thin the display out, and show only the best. Display toys in both alt and robot modes to mix it up. If you must use cheap shelves (and I do, for sure) try to avoid 5 shelf units full top to bottom with TFs. Put books, DVDs, etc. on some of the shelves to make the display more pleasing to the eye. TFs really only show up well on the top 2 or 3 shelves anyway, unless you have under shelf lighting.

I just redid my room's display, and I feel it looks pretty nice. I plan to put a row of shelves along the top of my wall soon. By mixing boxes with TFs, this should be a good way to display most if not all of my collection and still look nice. Check it out if you like in the link in my sig.

Thanks for everyones advice. It's bizarre how on the nose some of your comments are. Especially with quantity over quality. My shelf is FULL, and it's simply starting to look like a kids room clutter. Which when you bring girls over can be a bit of a put off.

I love the idea of glass display cases with built in lights. Sentinals the ones you have are awesome. And would make any collection look nice. However yours look pretty big and might not make it up the stairs into my room.

I do think the idea of spreading them out is GREAT. That seems to make the most sense, and the quickest solution. And of course mix them up with a few books, and other things. Hmmm....

This would of course mean putting some in the closet. But I might be able to live with that. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Archived