What's your over all opinion on the Live action TF movies & movie verse toy lines

Shadowpanther

honestly they should never stop making movie toys. I mean a few of them can always find their way into the Generations line.

I wanna see a proper team of constructicons and an equally proper Devastator!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly they should never stop making movie toys. I mean a few of them can always find their way into the Generations line.

I wanna see a proper team of constructicons and an equally proper Devastator!

Hasbro for the past few years,Is on this strict policy of NOT MIXING different designs aesthetics in the various TF toy lines. this policy by hasbro seems to get more obsessive & strict as the years keep passing by.

TF1 was good. From a toyline standpoint it invigorated an otherwise aimless and stale Transformers brand which it sorely needed. Unfortunately Hasbro didn't anticipate it being such a huge hit that shelves remained barren for weeks. Online retailers and auction scalpers made a mint that winter. As for the figures themselves they were mostly good but didn't really shine until the Premium series.

ROTF is the worst, if not one of the worst movies ever made. Of all time. Ever. Most of the figures initially weren't that good. However, almost all of the off-screen characters and figures released at the tail end ran the gamut from really good to fuckton awesome. Hasbro went crazy overboard this time around with distribution unfortunately it was hard to find newer product as it was released because stores got so clogged with the initial stuff (Bumblebeee!!!).

DOTM was my favorite of the 3 Bay movies, but the toyline was horrible. Size reduction, price hiking and the worst offender of all: a lack of product. After the first few waves there was nothing worthwhile on the shelves. A few exclusives were really nice and there were some super cool figures in there but it added up to only about 35% of awesome that the END of the ROTF line had. And thats being generous. At least ROTF had a ton of figures coming out all the time. There was practically something new announced every week. DOTM seriously lacked that and I grew bored and lost interest in the line shortly after I got the few I wanted. Then Soundwave got cancelled and all was lost.

Thats my take.

• 2 weeks later...

for me, the Optimus + Jetfire Leader Combo was the best thing to come out of Bayformers period.

I agree,I miss the AEC Optimus+jetfire+overlord combiners,optimus+wingsabre+omega supreme combiner,optimus+wingsabre+leobreaker combiners.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that people went WAY overboard and took these movies way too seriously. Not just that, they took them personally as well like Michael Bay purposely set out to crap on their childhoods. Some people never got the fact that these movies weren't about anyone's childhood. It wasn't to please toy collecting fanboys, or to make wet dreams come true. It was simply an evolution of the brand the same as it's ever been.

Beast Wars/Machines were an anomaly. One you won't likely see again. Hasbro loves their human characters and if they are going to spend another few hundred million on a movie, then you know it will have humans. Get used to it!

I enjoyed the hell out of the movies. I wasn't looking for, well, whatever it is so many others seemed to think it all should have been. I wanted a fun ride with cool transforming robots blowin stuff up. Got that, thank you very much!

Figures were for the most part good all up and down. The only thing I wish for, was more change in the characters over the 3 movies. Didn't have to be overly drastic, just more to make the figures more interesting to keep buying. What little cosmetic changes they made were old by the 3rd movie.

I think the toylines are hard to rank independently. Each line had it's own winners and losers. As for the infamous DOTM debacle, I think that was more due to Hasbro not feeling confident that the 3rd movie would reach or eclipse the previous 2 and played it safe. Too safe. Otherwise they would have had more original molds ready at the outset and we wouldn't still be sitting here wondering why there was no Que, Dino, or Soundwave figures that made it out. That's unforgivable!

With that said, I think DOTM deluxe figures were some of the best. I don't give a crap if they were a half an inch shorter or not. That's a petty gripe. I think prefer the DOTM BB molds over all the rest. Ratchet, Topspin, Optimus, Crankcase, Air Raid,Starscream, and Barricade were all very nice. We got cheated out of the rest of the movie cast and some extended line stuff which I think could have put DOTM on top in my book. The few leaders were excellent and voyager Megatron, Shockwave, Sentinel Prime, and Skyhammer were some of the best voyager figs of the 3 movies. Again, needed more!

ROTF did a great job with the toyline. The offshoot lines were the best though, again, not everything made it out. It was a shame what happened down towards the end. Otherwise it was a great time to be a fan. Human Alliance figures were the big ones for me there. Shame about not ever getting Mudflap though. Leader Starscream and Optimus were the other big highlights. Also the voyager line was full of good stuff throughout.

The first movie toyline I think was the most spotty with some great figures mixed with so-so ones. In all honesty, I've had them put away for so long I can hardly even remember what all the specific highlights and so-so were. I just know it was the beginning for the movie figures and a great deal of them were later improved upon.

All in all, one of the eras in TF collecting that will stick with me the most. I think had the most fun and connected with more people during this time over Transformers than at any point before. Even total strangers who had no real interest themselves in TF's but thought they were cool. At one point, and I guess to some degree still, I have more women who seem curious and find my collecting to be kinda neat than anything. Some REALLY hot ones too!

It's been a fun journey and I look forward to more.

Archived