Daily Prime - Whatever Happened to Generations Select Armada Optimus Prime?

BaCon

The Daily Prime looks at a strange image making the rounds on the SNS today. The likely faked image for the so-called Transformers Legacy Armada Optimus Prime box begs the question. Whatever happened to the Generation Selects Armada Optimus Prime that Takara revealed with Star Convoy at Wonder Festival 2019? Considering that Star Convoy has come and gone.

Click Image to Read the Full News Story Now

Daily%20Prime%20-%20Whatever%20Happened%

Not having that figure and the trailer to combine him with is one of the biggest let downs that has ever happened from the Transformers brand. 

Unlike Star Convoy, there's no way it could've been any kind of leader class figure as the trailer is too intricate. And yes it is designed to form the super mode as there are hands for it stored in the legs that will become the arms. However they made the commander class sometime after this and it would fit perfectly with that. It can very easily slip right into the Generations Selects line and not mess anything up. There's even two redeco options for the whole setup and at least two more if you count the deluxe mold's redecos. I'd take at least the standard Armada version, a Nemesis version (or two as there's two different decos) and an Ultra Magnus version. Then I'd go after the Powerlinx and Costco versions with the Cybertron and G1ish versions after that. No crystal version for me though.

It's just crazy that they went that far with the prototype and then didn't do it when they have the size class and toy line for it read to go.

And Legacy wasn't even an idea when this was worked on. Like I said, if it got as far as it did, then they were working on it for quite a while. It looks ready to be made as far as prototypes go. Meaning that they must have started around 2017ish. It's not like they couldn't rush to change a few things to make it work with the War for Cybertron Trilogy to have extra Weaponizer or blast effect ports since Takara rushed to change the PRID figures to have Arms Micron ports and pegs all over them for better or worse.

• Like 1

@Joe Velez Amen brother! I wonder if it was too much to work into the Ultra Magnus mold base that they also made the Galaxy Upgrade from. It would have to be a big box that transforms into a base.  Not that trailer they did for the Earthrise Leader, so yeah it would have to be Commander scale.

12 minutes ago, BaCon said:

@Joe Velez Amen brother! I wonder if it was too much to work into the Ultra Magnus mold base that they also made the Galaxy Upgrade from. It would have to be a big box that transforms into a base.  Not that trailer they did for the Earthrise Leader, so yeah it would have to be Commander scale.

There's no way they could've done any of it from Siege UM/GUOP. There's nothing similar as the trailer needs to become the entire super mode from the waist down. It's kind of like Legacy Motormaster in a way. The trailer needs to form quite a bit of the combined mode. Too much for any leader priced trailer to accomplish. Laser Prime's trailer is pretty good compared to Earthrise Prime's trailer but even then that's still not enough plastic to properly pull off Armada Optimus Prime's trailer.

And that Earthrise trailer is just garbage and I have four of the damn thing. I hate it lol.

Although, they could get a pretty decent RID 2001 OP, UM and Omega Prime from those Siege molds. Siege UM is almost RID 2001 UM as it is and would only need a little more work to complete the look. RID OP coming from GUOP wouldn't be too difficult to do. Omega Prime could just be RID OP base figure with RID UM's armor and a new head/chest which wouldn't be too difficult to pull off. Which would then leave the RID UM base figure to have RID OP's armor to put on. He can even have a new name. Leftovers Prime or something like that lol.

Not every Optimus with a super mode needs to be a commander class as proven with GUOP, Star Convoy and even going back to TR PMOP/TL Super Ginrai but Armada Prime just has too much going on to fit into a leader price point. Energon could also work as a leader set too. It could also be a voyager or even leader base figure and four deluxe Weaponizers/Modulators if they wanted to go a different route with it. That would put it in the commander range though. It's just that Energon OP can easily go to either price point and still work out just fine whereas Armada OP would only work as a commander.

9 hours ago, Joe Velez said:

Not having that figure and the trailer to combine him with is one of the biggest let downs that has ever happened from the Transformers brand. 

Unlike Star Convoy, there's no way it could've been any kind of leader class figure as the trailer is too intricate. And yes it is designed to form the super mode as there are hands for it stored in the legs that will become the arms. However they made the commander class sometime after this and it would fit perfectly with that. It can very easily slip right into the Generations Selects line and not mess anything up. There's even two redeco options for the whole setup and at least two more if you count the deluxe mold's redecos. I'd take at least the standard Armada version, a Nemesis version (or two as there's two different decos) and an Ultra Magnus version. Then I'd go after the Powerlinx and Costco versions with the Cybertron and G1ish versions after that. No crystal version for me though.

It's just crazy that they went that far with the prototype and then didn't do it when they have the size class and toy line for it read to go.

And Legacy wasn't even an idea when this was worked on. Like I said, if it got as far as it did, then they were working on it for quite a while. It looks ready to be made as far as prototypes go. Meaning that they must have started around 2017ish. It's not like they couldn't rush to change a few things to make it work with the War for Cybertron Trilogy to have extra Weaponizer or blast effect ports since Takara rushed to change the PRID figures to have Arms Micron ports and pegs all over them for better or worse.

How do you know all of that? And why would you need to own so many redecoes?

But this doesn't fit into the Selects line at all. Selects are just redecoes with a new headsculpt if necessary. So this exact mold (except the headsculpt of course) needs to be released in the main line first.

16 minutes ago, BaCon said:

@Lunatic Prime Agreed, the Selects line is not like that anymore. However, it began with the Star Convoy and Super Megatron that were both new figures, albeit heavily modified ones.

And I thought it began with Red Swoop and Ricochet. I totally forgot that Takara had its own Selects line.

3 hours ago, Lunatic Prime said:

How do you know all of that? And why would you need to own so many redecoes?

But this doesn't fit into the Selects line at all. Selects are just redecoes with a new headsculpt if necessary. So this exact mold (except the headsculpt of course) needs to be released in the main line first.

How do I know any of what exactly?

And why would you care about why I would want to own so many redecos?  Skywarp, Thundercracker, Sunstorm, Bitstream, Hotlink, Sandstorm, Acid Storm, Nova Storm, Ion Storm, Clamp Down, Deep Cover, Tigertrack, Cordon, Spinout, Burnout, Lift Ticket, Over Air, SG Ratchet, SG Optimus Prime, Twincast, DK-02 Guard, T-Wrecks, Soundblaster, Centurion Guard, Bluestreak, Nemesis Prime, Skellivore, Black Roritchi, Hot House, Night Prowler, and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and I didn't even touch on redecos of the same toy into the same character like Kup, Cliffjumper, Optimus Primal, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Rattrap, Cheetor, Terrorsaur and another long list of names. They're all just redecos. Why does anyone need to own redecos?

To borrow form you: "How do you know all that?" Where was it ever stated that Generations Selects is for redecos and new head retools? That's just as much speculation as my statements. But I'm fully aware that what I said was speculation and typed it as such. And besides, this is Takara, not Hasbro. They have no such limitation to anything they release for Takara Generations Selects. They're two different lines.

Takara designed both Star Convoy and Armada Optimus Prime with absolutely no plans on how they were going to release them and with no involvement from Hasbro. Super Megatron, the Seacons and the additions to Abominus and Volcanicus were also done without Hasbro's involvement. Going back further, Runabout, Override Gregevor, Adventure white Drift, Blackarachnia, Nightbird, Slipstream, Defensor with deluxe Groove, Bruticus with spaceshuttle Blast Off, Computicon, Devastator, Grand Galvatron and how many others are all retools, or new molds outright in Groove and Blast Off's cases, without any involvement from Hasbro. They released them however they wanted.

However now they don't seem to be able to do that with the brand unification. So that's where Takara's Generations Selects comes in. It's the place where they can release whatever they want again. Had the brand unification been around back during Combiner Wars or anytime then you best believe that Computron, Devastator, Defensor and Bruticus all would've been released in Takara Generations Selects. But they would also have had to release the standard CW versions at retail like they did the PotP Dinobots and Terrorcons.