Review: Transformers Japanese Trilogy Boxset

Blitz-Wing

17090-thumb.jpg
As most G1 fans know, Generation One ended it's TV presence in 1987 after The Rebirth. Most G1 fans also know that Generation One continued on Japan's airwaves through 1989. Fans for many years clamored for those Japanese series to be brought to the states. Shout Factory finally heeded the call in 2011 by releasing the first of the trilogies, Headmasters, to DVD. After some delays and rumors of cancellations, Shout Factory is finally set to offer the entire trilogy in one complete set.

Click here to read the full review!

I'm sure the last two will see individual release at some point. What are the odds of the subtitle issues being fixed by then?

I was wondering about this but I'm probably going to pass. I already have the UK dub of Victory and except for one disc being in Chinese (with Chinese subtitles) it is fine. The problem I have is that I didn't get the Headmasters set, and the Headmasters I have on DVD already is in PAL format. I'm thinking I'll probably just go hunt down the other UK dubs for them.

It would have been nice if Shout had hired the sub-teams from WPP/Nihon who do excellent jobs. Back when I watched Galaxy Force this way, the subs were great and they were putting out episodes about 24-48 hours after they were aired.

Man, this was disappointing to read about.

Given the delay, I was hoping for a better project, but from this review: what was the point of the delay?

Wanted to get the set, since I had watched the fansubs, but with this shoddy work, I'm not sure I want to support it.

Man, this was disappointing to read about.

Given the delay, I was hoping for a better project, but from this review: what was the point of the delay?

Wanted to get the set, since I had watched the fansubs, but with this shoddy work, I'm not sure I want to support it.

I'm sure the last two will see individual release at some point. What are the odds of the subtitle issues being fixed by then?

that sucks...this was something that i was actually looking forward to owning....your review makes not even want to bother..

I never planned on buying this. because years ago,I went to the amazonuk.com site & ordered the metrodome ultimate G-1 Japanese TRIO complete series on clearance for about 80% off.

What bothered me the most about the shout version. was the fact they ommitted the english dubs sound track. the metrome UK version has the english dubs sound track.

I prefer the Metrodome UK version. because viewers get the options of japanese only language or english sub titles or the english dub. It's worth mentioning metrodome fixed the quality of the picture,sounds & visual effects.

Regardging the shout version having sub titles. I don't mind reading sub titles for a half hour. but with these transformers DVD's,I watch them for hours at a time. I simply refuse to keep reading sub titles for hours at a time. I prefer the english dubs over sub titles.

Yes,the UK Metrodome version have a different DVD viewing region code. but most computers with dvd players can view region codes world wide. also some cheap DVD players like "COLBY" can read region codes world wide.

I'm pretty sure amazonuk.com still has those metrodome UK Japanse series on clearance & cheaper priced than the current shout version.

I also Ordered the RID complete series from amazonuk.com on mass reduced clearance prices. getting the uk version meant getting the deleted episodes & deleted scenes that weren't allowed to air in america.

I never finished the Headmasters DVD set. It was neat to see the new characters in animation, but the show was a little goofy. Now, I like Wheelie and Daniel, but they sure are annoying in Japanese voices and with anime comedy aesthetics.

Archived