To Resticker or not?

Boom52

First off, this is my first post (obvs...) this looks like a great site and I look forward to hanging around.

Here's my question..... My son and I just cleaned out my parents basement of all my old toys....This reignited my transformer fever. Most of my TFs are in great shape and even have the guns but have quite a bit of sticker wear.

One in particular was my Cyclonus. I have the early and apparently rare "blue eared" version, complete with his gun. I was thinking about selling him as my son is not that into him. Should I peal off the old stickers and put a new set of repro stickers on him? Or would that degrade the value? Thanks for the input!

Welcome to the forum!

As for your situation, I would say..... no. Let the buyer choose wether or not they want to reprolabel it up. You can't go wrong by leaving the original stickers on. Thats how I see it, anyways...

Well... if you list it on ebay, put in a little buyer incentive ;). Basically say "if this auction gets up to $x.xx I will toss in a free reprolable sheet free of charge". Then just toss the unapplied labels in the shipping box and go XD.

But yeah, I wouldn't purposely rip off the vintage labels and replace them. Not unless the buyer wants you to, mostly because some people really want vintage stickers "for whatever reason", plus its alot of fun to apply the stickers yourself when you get the figure. It really triggers the nostalgia of being a child, buying a transformer, and putting the stickers on by hand :).

some people really want vintage stickers "for whatever reason", plus its alot of fun to apply the stickers yourself when you get the figure. It really triggers the nostalgia of being a child, buying a transformer, and putting the stickers on by hand :).

That's actually exactly why I wanted to do it. Putting some new stickers on sounded like a great time for me. But I was worried if I ever sold it that I would hurt the resale. I'm really on the fence about getting rid of it.

Thanks again for the input guys!

I would never sell/give away/throw out a toy that I love.

But anyway, if you do choose to offload this to, definitely keep the original stickers and let the buyer decide if they want to add repros to it. Remember that some G1 collectors do not like repro labels because they are basically counterfeit stickers. I don't mean to spark another KO debate here, but I just want to let you know that there are collectors out there who refuse to touch Transformers which have repro stickers on them - so buy removing the original and authentic stickers and replacing them with unlicensed reproduction stickers, then you may be potentially isolating yourself away from purist collectors.

If someone buys your toy and are happy to replace the stickers with repro labels, then let them do it themselves. :)

First off, welcome to TFormers buddy! Hope you survive the experience (that's an old X-Men reference, not a threat :P )!

I agree with the rest. Leave it vintage and let the buyer decide. Having a reprove label sheet as a buyer incentive is a cool idea though.

The only time I needed reprolabels was to restore a figure I planned on keeping. I agree with everyone above, if you sell it let the buyer decide what he wants to do with the stickers. Assuming you would include in the description that the bot had reprolabels, I am sure there are a lot of picky people that might just pass.

keep them. Vintage for the win. I only buy reprolabels for 3rd party figures.

You can also try selling those figures on the End Cap section of this site. There are always people looking for stuff on here. There are some threads worth reading too if you go the eBay route with tips on listing items and things like that.

Well... if you list it on ebay, put in a little buyer incentive ;). Basically say "if this auction gets up to $x.xx I will toss in a free reprolable sheet free of charge". Then just toss the unapplied labels in the shipping box and go XD.

But yeah, I wouldn't purposely rip off the vintage labels and replace them. Not unless the buyer wants you to, mostly because some people really want vintage stickers "for whatever reason", plus its alot of fun to apply the stickers yourself when you get the figure. It really triggers the nostalgia of being a child, buying a transformer, and putting the stickers on by hand :).

I totally agree!

First off, welcome to TFormers buddy! Hope you survive the experience (that's an old X-Men reference, not a threat :P )!

I agree with the rest. Leave it vintage and let the buyer decide. Having a reprove label sheet as a buyer incentive is a cool idea though.

Again, agree.

Leave it vintage. My Hound and Wheeljack, Astrotrain, Grimlock, etc all have the original labels even if they aren't in the best shape. All my reissues however, I put the new decals on. These toys will never see the abuse I out my originals through back in the day.

Archived