Simon Furman Thanks the Fans For Making Transformers #81 Happen

Peter_Van

P1030662__scaled_100.jpg
At IDW Publishing's San Diego Comic-Con 2011 Transformations Panel, it was announced that, after a large force of fans spoke out, Transformers #81 would be coming in Spring 2012. "[T]he original Marvel Transformers comic series (cancelled back in 1991 at issue #80) is being continued by IDW Publishing," Mr. Furman writes on his blog, "thanks in large part to an online fan petition (big shouts for Luke and Ron of the IDW forums) and the tireless efforts of IDW [Editor In Chief] Chris Ryall." Continue reading.. Read the Full News Story Here

Dear Mr. Furman,

You are welcome. Don't screw it up.

Sincerely,

Jason X

So this story will actually be the FOURTH attempt to tell us what happened after Marvel Transformers #80. First there was the Marvel Transformers and GI Joe/G2 comic (where Megatron gets made over as a tank), then there was a seperate Marvel UK G2 comic, and third there was the Transformers Collectors Club "Classicverse" which was the events of the Marvel comic years later using the Classic and Botcon toys as their designs.

So we will have FOUR stories of what happened after Marvel TF #80.

Wait a second!

Thanking fans implies that a principal Transformer creator is aware that long time fans exist, even outside of Botcon.

I mean the whole premise doesn't make any sense.

Furman has been aware that long time fans exist since he and Andrew Wildman attended BotCon '97 - before then he admits that he was oblivious. He's been aware and creatively involved with TFs ever since, e.g.:

+ Ground Zero

+ Reaching the Omega Point

+ The Nemesis, Part 2

+ Convincing Titan Books to reprint almost the entire G1 and G2 Marvel run.

+ The War Within

+ Transformers Armada (comics)

+ Transformers Energon (comics)

+ Transformers The Ultimate Guide

+ Various stories for IDW

I think he wasn't sure if there would be enough support from current fans to justify continuing on from #80 - and he said that if there was enough support, then he'd do it - hence the petition project. :)

Also, the reason why he's ignoring G2 is because he said that he wasn't terribly happy with it and feels that "It's all too 1990s". I think G2 was cool and I would love to see him continue from where G2 ended... but oh well.

I'd prefer that the books would be a gap filler for between G1 and G2. As its obvious that a huge amount of time was skipped between the two. So maybe when he runs out of time between those two, then elaborate on G2 #13 and keep going from there.

Archived