Interview - World Renowned Illustrator Jeff Mangiat Talks G1 Transformers

MISP Steve

You may have seen the Ebay auction for the original Transformers Box Art by world renowned illustrator Jeff Mangiat. TFormers was fortunate enough to get a little time with Mr. Mangiat to do an exclusive interview asking some question about his work on the Transformers past and present as well some of the intimate details of how these painting and Transformers box art came about. Read the Full News Story Here

Yeah it was a nice interview. Too bad that painting costs so much, it'd be a really nice addition hanging over a collection or anywhere for that matter.

I liked that. He really seemed to have a good memory of how and what he did. Alot of early TF contributors when interviewed seem like they're phoning it in (sorry Pete), but this guy knows his stuff. I especialy like that he had the Dinobot painting hanging in his studio.

If they put out a collection of his, and other G1 artwork, I would gladly by it. I remember as a kid, the pictures on the box where just as mezmerising to me as the figures.

I think alot of us would like to see a return of the old box style.

-The figure in the window up front with a painting off to the side

-The top had a few pics of the actual figure transforming from start to finish

-The sides showed both modes

-The back just so loaded with awesome that you couldn't help but want every figure to have the fun the picture showed, along with a bio, tech specs(that needed a decoder) and robot points.

None of these things should ever have gone away, and the digital quick print of today just doesn't hold up.

Yeah i dig the interview, I like hearing all about the Transfomrers franchise and re living the old franchise. Thanks Jeff :wave

Liege Evilmus

-The back just so loaded with awesome that you couldn't help but want every figure to have the fun the picture showed, along with a bio, tech specs(that needed a decoder) and robot points.

TOTALLY agree homie!!

If the next TV TF toy/TV line is Generation inspired, then these would work ACES! I think if they could go back and make a G1 show @ the inbetween parts (like in between S.2 & the TFTMovie) like Clone Wars the animated AND CGI toon are, it would make me :D

I remember when I was a kid studying those pics so hard and finding some TF that was so far in the background and thinking that this must have taken forever to have drawn. They also gave such a good sense of what the dinobot ect you just got could do (in a play sense). I know hes selling one or two of those paintings I just hope the lucky TF fan and I hope he/she is a TF fan looks after this jem in our fandom as well as anyone looks after the very finest classic works of art.

If they put out a collection of his, and other G1 artwork, I would gladly by it. I remember as a kid, the pictures on the box where just as mezmerising to me as the figures.

None of these things should ever have gone away, and the digital quick print of today just doesn't hold up.

:agree TOTALLY !!!!!

Loved the old boxes. In stores I always found myself staring at the transformation pictures on top and it often helped in deciding I wanted a figure.

I used to cut up those old boxes during G1, with every part getting a use. I loved the (old-school) art of the TF on front of the box and had them displayed on my wall. The techspecs and side pictures were collected in a small book (along with the transformation instructions). Really nothing was thrown away.

But those backpictures...I most've spent hours looking at them. Trying to figure out who all the Transformers were. And they were very detailed as well.

Compared to the boxes of these days, well then the current ones are crap. Hasbro should really return to the old style. The figure art of the early G1 looked more realistic (the current one is a bit cartoony). That, and a big battle scene at the back.

This is pretty cool in itself! His box paintings are still classic like Davinci paintings! The first thing my mind associate's with when it thinks of Transformers is the back of G1 toy boxes that hew drew. A new CGI animated series done in Jeff's style is exactly what a new CGI animated series should look like!

Archived