TRU Offering KB Toys Gift Card Holders Some Comfort

Peter_Van

10759-thumb.jpg
Toys R Us is saying that it will honor any KB Toys gift card from now until January 31, 2009 with a coupon for 15% off any one toy item. The value of the gift cards does not factor into the eligibility of the coupon. Just bring your KB Toys gift cards to the Guest Services counter at any TRU store to receive the coupon. KB Toys announced last month that it will be filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy and will shutter all of its retail locations and sell off its wholesale business.
Read the Full News Story Here

thanks but i don't have any giftcards for kb

I think your some what missing the point

I think this is awesome for those people who got gift cards and now cant use them as you can now use them at least in some way. As for why TRU would do this I think its rather cunning first theirs the good PR and then when you think about it they are not offering that huge a discount unless you buy something really expensive so they will also see some money coming in off of this.

I think this is awesome for those people who got gift cards and now cant use them as you can now use them at least in some way. As for why TRU would do this I think its rather cunning first theirs the good PR and then when you think about it they are not offering that huge a discount unless you buy something really expensive so they will also see some money coming in off of this.

thats what i'm saying tru and kb have never done a calaboration together before and why would there done something now

thats what i'm saying tru and kb have never done a calaboration together before and why would there done something now

I think this is more of a goodwill gesture by Toys R Us to migrate business from KB. With KB now shuttering, TRU is about the only place left that is (mostly) dedicated to toys. Face it, most KB customers would more than likely shuffle to places like Walmart or Target if not for this offer. By TRU extending a friendly hand and (the key point) making KB customers feel like they didn't get jipped out of their money via defuncted gift cards, they are hoping to gain some loyalty.

You misunderstand.

KB and TRU are not collaborating. TRU decided to try to make more money off of the KB failure by honoring the gift cards and giving people stuck with a gift card a chance to use it in some way.

It's a win-win: Consumer is able to redeem some of the money, TRU makes money off consumer.

TRU is not going to let you use the MONEY on the KB Toys gift card, they're just going to give you a 15% off coupon if you show a KB Toys gift card to TRU.

You must also surrender the gift card to TRU to get the coupon.

The coupon is good for ONE TOY ONLY.

011209_EmTRU_KBGiftCard4_JL_03_01_01.jpg

011209_EmTRU_KBGiftCard4_JL_03_01_02.jpg

011209_EmTRU_KBGiftCard4_JL_03_01_03.jpg

TRU is not going to let you use the MONEY on the KB Toys gift card, they're just going to give you a 15% off coupon if you show a KB Toys gift card to TRU.

You must also surrender the gift card to TRU to get the coupon.

The coupon is good for ONE TOY ONLY.

So get the biggest thing you have ever had your eye on.

But only if the 15% off will make it cheaper than you could get it at Wal-mart or Target.

I did say that it's off one toy item in the original post.

However, I think you're looking at the gift horse in the mouth. The KB Toys Gift Cards were worth less than the plastic that represents the worth of the card. You can't expect TRU to just say, "oh, take advantage!" They're running a business too, you know.

But only if the 15% off will make it cheaper than you could get it at Wal-mart or Target.

I never really knew that TRU marked up their toys that much more than Wal-Mart or Target?

Archived